• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV similarities between models.

revhrd

Is there a sticky/cheat sheet that can help with the similarities and interchangeability between models? To be specific, I am referring to being install newer components on the m998. After extensive research I finally figured out the hard doors (not the flat ones). Now, I need help on the proper strikers, doors are in transit. But the main interest is the A/C and slant/top kit. I notice that the Red Dot A/C kit is pretty popular, but I an leaning more towards the under the rear fender condenser style. What I did notice is that on the newer models there is a blower assembly that fits under the dash on the passenger side, but I have yet to see anyone discuss this. I am hoping the @Retiredwarhorses can chime in and perhaps share some wisdom on this component and its reliability and fitment on an m998. I know there were made for newer models but it seems that body dimensions did not change only the upgraded suspension. drive and powertrain. On the slant back aspect, I have seen that the B pillar is cut, is that when you install an turret style hard top? I am actually lookin for a non-turret top.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So you need to understand several things.

This forum has all of that information. You can find that information is also in the TM’s.

That being said, a slant back top will set you back at least $6000 and the turret it will set you back another $8000. The Red Dot air conditioning will set you back $2000 unless you go with restomod which is a site sponsor. Restomod is what I suggest.

You need to let us know the year and model and engine and transmission in your vehicle so that we can all help you better. Most things are forwards and backwards compatible and somethings are not.

Last edited:

revhrd

Tobash,

My main focus is not in the powertrain/drivetrain aspect of it. It is the similarities in the body and a/c mounting aspect. I noticed that the later hmmwvs have the blower motor assembly under the dash on the passenger side similar to civilian vehicles. As far as I can tell on TMs, it seems that this could fit the older m998 and not use the red dot kit that mounts the rectangular assembly in the back of the cab. TMs can only take you so far and that's why I am hoping that members here that have experience installing a/c units can chime in.

The same is for the slant back aspect. I was asking for clarification on the reason that some hmmwvs has the b pillar cut-off. I am guessing it is to install and stronger support for the turret style hardtop. I intend to install a hardtop without the turret hole, and my question was if I still need to cut the b pillars.

I hope this helps clarify my original post.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would assume that the B pillar would only need to be cut to provide clearance for a turret, I can see no reason you would have to cut the B pillar for anything else.
Basically the bodies are all the same except for the front ends on the ECV, so yes just about anything can be adapted from one model to the next, in fact anything is possible it is just a matter of cost and sourcing all the needed components.

Action

The Red Dot system is aftermarket. It just gets thrown on somewhere.
It would probably be cheaper to buy a truck that has all the factory a/c parts then try to piece it all together.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there a sticky/cheat sheet that can help with the similarities and interchangeability between models? To be specific, I am referring to being install newer components on the m998. After extensive research I finally figured out the hard doors (not the flat ones). Now, I need help on the proper strikers, doors are in transit. But the main interest is the A/C and slant/top kit. I notice that the Red Dot A/C kit is pretty popular, but I an leaning more towards the under the rear fender condenser style. What I did notice is that on the newer models there is a blower assembly that fits under the dash on the passenger side, but I have yet to see anyone discuss this. I am hoping the @Retiredwarhorses can chime in and perhaps share some wisdom on this component and its reliability and fitment on an m998. I know there were made for newer models but it seems that body dimensions did not change only the upgraded suspension. drive and powertrain. On the slant back aspect, I have seen that the B pillar is cut, is that when you install an turret style hard top? I am actually lookin for a non-turret top.
better to call the shop…to much to cover in a post.

revhrd

I would assume that the B pillar would only need to be cut to provide clearance for a turret, I can see no reason you would have to cut the B pillar for anything else.
Basically the bodies are all the same except for the front ends on the ECV, so yes just about anything can be adapted from one model to the next, in fact anything is possible it is just a matter of cost and sourcing all the needed components.
That's what I was also thinking. I'll have to shop around. In another post, I remember that there is an outfit out of Georgia that sells top, slant, sponsoons for about 5k without hardware or 8k with hardware. Other than the soft top starting to go, I think being patient and savvy is the way to go.

revhrd

The Red Dot system is aftermarket. It just gets thrown on somewhere.
It would probably be cheaper to buy a truck that has all the factory a/c parts then try to piece it all together.
Sure, if prices weren't driven to the moon that would be the ideal way to go. But, there's also that factor of liking to work a hmmwv. Most of the components are not hard to find, except for the blower assembly and controls. I think we all go into this knowing that it's an involved hobby.