• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV smart start box ticking

hughscpa

I drove the sheriff's office HMMWV today and it seemed to run fine. Got home and shut it off. Went back outside later to run uptown and hit the switch. It turned over about one time and then just started ticking. The ticking is coming from the smart start box and the wait light flashes. Any ideas?

hughscpa

is the box hard to change? Is there a way to check which one it is? I have another newer unit that has a blown engine so I do have access to parts. It has the 6.5 instead of th 6.2 does that make a difference on the box or plugs?

ke5eua

The box is a little bit of a pain to change, but can be done in about an hour. If memory serves me, 4 bolts and the connector(s). It's been about 5 years since I had to change one but I'll never forget it.

Biggest pain is the big connector, and having your team leader yell at you for trying to jump start a M1 with a 998.

TedG

One person job. Remove drivers door. Disconnect batteries. Remove large connectors. Remove 4- 1/4×20 bolts. Install like control box or read sticky above. Done in 10 minutes.

hughscpa

Okay, here is another question, it currently has the smart start system box. It flashes the wait light and does nothing but tick when you hit the start switch. The gas guage also slowly goes down when you hit the start switch. I swapped the box out for a power box from a different hmmwv, all it did was click. No guarantee that it is good either. I have another starting HMMWV I can rob the box from and try that. Is there a way to check and possibly fix the original box?

hughscpa

Well, it is not the box. I have put three on the wounded girl and flashes the "wait" light but nothing when you hit the switch and ticking from the box. I put the original box in the other HMWWV and it operated fine. So where should I look next?

hughscpa

I think they are fine. I was driving it turned it off and then had this problem maybe an hour later. One strange thing it did when I was driving it, the fan came on when I started it and did not turn off until I was about home, (5 miles or so.) The engine was not warm when it started up and never reached even a temp of 160. The batteries show 12+ each and the lights all work and are bright. I could take the other one home and try and jump it I guess.

tage

Make sure the connectors on the batteries are tight. I'm sure the fan is another issue. make sure the connector is plugged in and that it's not setup to run continuously.

gcbennet

If your batteries are a bit older you should pull them out and load test them. Like tage said above, the fan is an entirely different issue. A potential can of worms, too because there's several points of failure and you'll have to use process of elimination to weed out the culprit. If any one part of the system fails it will default to the 'on' position to prevent engine overheating, which is good, but also sucks because it's noisy and it'll eat your HP.

hughscpa

Well I have to thank you guys again and wish I would have thought of it on my own but if you throw the jumper cable on it just might fire right up. I did learn how to change the smart start box though. Not a bad job at all. Now to do research on the ever running fan before I start a new thread. Wish me luck on this one. Thanks again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks