• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

hmmwv tachometer installation

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Because the military tach is a 3500 rpm gauge which is more responsive to a low-rpm diesel engine. I am preparing to install a new HMMWV 3500 rpm tach in my M1028 in a custom-built cluster and have the HMMWV sending unit which mounts on the oil pump drive, however I have not tested this connection and do not know that the signal from the sending unit will be correct. I am also interested in knowing the outcome of this thread. Here is a photo of my sending unit and cluster -

View attachment 820184 View attachment 820185
1st, The tach you have pictured is simple, I have installed many and sell them, the instructions for install are available via search in this forum.
2nd, the OP is not installing this into a hmmwv from what I gathered, it a 12v civilian truck.
so instead of reinventing the wheel, just buy a civiy Tach already available The civilian H1’s all have Tachs.

The Tach drive you refer too in your pic is for the STE/ICE application, it was not meant to produce the correct signal for
TCM applications but does for this Tachometer only, the cannon plug version of late style Tach gets its signal from the
generato.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1st, The tach you have pictured is simple, I have installed many and sell them, the instructions for install are available via search in this forum.
2nd, the OP is not installing this into a hmmwv from what I gathered, it a 12v civilian truck.
so instead of reinventing the wheel, just buy a civiy Tach already available The civilian H1’s all have Tachs.

The Tach drive you refer too in your pic is for the STE/ICE application, it was not meant to produce the correct signal for
TCM applications but does for this Tachometer only, the cannon plug version of late style Tach gets its signal from the
generato.
Warhorse - Thanks for your reply. I apologize, the thread is so long and old that did not read all the way back and see that the OP intended to install the tach in a civilian truck. Regarding my tach, do I understand you correctly that the sender that I have will indeed provide the correct signal for my tach? If not, is there a specific sender available that will provide the correct signal? Thanks again for your help.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The statement about the OP’s application vehicle is the post above my reply....

But yes, if you have the 4 screw Tach, that sending unit provides the correct signal.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The statement about the OP’s application vehicle is the post above my reply....

But yes, if you have the 4 screw Tach, that sending unit provides the correct signal.
Thank you soooo much! Yes I have the 4-screw tach. Question - would you happen to have the male end of the cannon plug so I can fabricate the harness from the sender to the tach? Here's a couple photos of the female end at the sender -

Female-side of plug on HMMWV tach signal sender - 2.JPG Female-side of plug on HMMWV tach signal sender.JPG

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you soooo much! Yes I have the 4-screw tach. Question - would you happen to have the male end of the cannon plug so I can fabricate the harness from the sender to the tach? Here's a couple photos of the female end at the sender -

View attachment 820187 View attachment 820188

just cut the plug off and use new connectors, makes no difference which wires you use for signal, works
either way. Or use Posi-taps.

Thumper580

Can someone tell me the outside diameter of the 3500rpm M998 tachometer body, not the ring that goes around the face. Need the body OD for fitting into a housing. Thanks, guys.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can someone tell me the outside diameter of the 3500rpm M998 tachometer body, not the ring that goes around the face. Need the body OD for fitting into a housing. Thanks, guys.
The tach body will pass through a 3-3/8" hole. There will need to be a small notch at 6:00 for an indexing ridge on the tach to fit into. Hope this helps.

DSC_0751 (2).JPG

IMG_3867.jpg

IMG_3871.jpg

IMG_3551.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks