• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Texas Title Info

Mattmo714

Just thought I'd pass along some current info relating to registering a hmmwv in Texas, for those who might be interested. At the time I purchased my truck, it was located at the Marine Corps Logistics Base in Albany, Georgia. A the time of sale, I had to pay my winning bid price, as well as 4% Georgia sales tax, a 4% local county tax, the 10% GovPlanet takes as a transaction fee, and finally the SF97 fee ($50.00). I purchased the truck in late July and it was delivered at my home two days before thanksgiving, so the turn around time wasn't horrible.

I finally received the title to the vehicle from the United States Marine Corps System Command in Quantico, Virginia on February 4th. I then took the truck to a local inspection station and it passed with flying colors.I the proceeded to the Hardin County Courthouse to transfer the title. The agents and the management at the courthouse couldn't have been more accommodating. Texas charges .0625% sales tax on all purchased vehicles, so they wanted to charge me .0625% on the sale. Fortunately, the employees and management were well experienced and management decided to accept the Georgia state tax, but not the county tax, so I had to pay the difference, which was .025% for sales tax, in addition to title and license. All in, about $600 for tax and title.

I had placed all relevant paperwork in an envelope and dropped it in their mailbox, so when I returned the next day, most of the paperwork was already done. We agreed on a compromise. They would recognize the state tax paid to Georgia and subtract it from the originally quotes $1700.00 to register the vehicle. Sorry, they will not recognize the county tax that is paid on your initial purchase.

I just received the title in my name on Tuesday of this week, so it was definitely the longest part of this transaction, approximately 7 months from the date of purchase. But now I have a state issued title for the vehicle and it's completely road legal. Let me know if you have any questions.

Matt

2nDefense

Being a marine unit did you get a title from Virginia or an SF97? Did either say “on road” before you went to Texas DMV? I hear the marines put “on road” on theirs. My sled is waiting on the EUC. Trying to get stuff ironed out while I wait.

what physically did you have to do to the vehicle?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Standard fare for Texas, SF-97+state inspection+ title application paperwork= blue Texas title, some may require a certified weight ticket.

I don't think the current SF-97 actually says "on road" I think they just are not stamped "off road use only"
The DuraVee's SF-97 was stamped "off road use only" but because of Texas law the fact it was a HMMWV with a GVWR of 10,000lb or less it still got a clear title.
They also counted the sales tax which was higher so I paid no vehicle tax.

I have not heard anyone comment on the outcome of a HMMWV with a GVWR of over 10K and an "off road use only" SF-97 in Texas.

Interestingly enough GP is a registered motor vehicle dealer in Texas, under Texas law they are required to charge the 6.25% tax and file title paperwork within 30 days of the sale of any motor vehicle they sell in the state of Texas, forcing the buyer to handle the paperwork is prohibited and they charge state and local sales tax which is normally around 8.25-9.5%
I purchased the DuraVee in San Antonio, I am not sure how they get around the law..

2nDefense

Standard fare for Texas, SF-97+state inspection+ title application paperwork= blue Texas title, some may require a certified weight ticket.

I don't think the current SF-97 actually says "on road" I think they just are not stamped "off road use only"
The DuraVee's SF-97 was stamped "off road use only" but because of Texas law the fact it was a HMMWV with a GVWR of 10,000lb or less it still got a clear title.
They also counted the sales tax which was higher so I paid no vehicle tax.

I have not heard anyone comment on the outcome of a HMMWV with a GVWR of over 10K and an "off road use only" SF-97 in Texas.

Interestingly enough GP is a registered motor vehicle dealer in Texas, under Texas law they are required to charge the 6.25% tax and file title paperwork within 30 days of the sale of any motor vehicle they sell in the state of Texas, forcing the buyer to handle the paperwork is prohibited and they charge state and local sales tax which is normally around 8.25-9.5%
I purchased the DuraVee in San Antonio, I am not sure how they get around the law..
Interesting. What changes did you have to make it pass inspection?

I have an M1152A1B2FK5 with a gross vehicle weight of 15500 and curb of 9760. But that’s really not true. They stripped the armor. It may weight 6k now. Wondering if I can update that?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting. What changes did you have to make it pass inspection?

I have an M1152A1B2FK5 with a gross vehicle weight of 15500 and curb of 9760. But that’s really not true. They stripped the armor. It may weight 6k now. Wondering if I can update that?
All you need for state inspection is the standard stuff, headlights with high/low beams and a high beam indicator, turn signals, brake lights, windshield wipers, horn, brakes that work, mechanical parking brake, not bald tires, muffler, reflectors, at least one rear view mirror, etc. and of course liability insurance.

Although Harris county does not require emissions testing diesel are exempt even in counties that do require testing.

Unfortunately the state goes by the manufactures GVWR which does not change just because they removed weight, so if it is not stated on the paperwork from GP a picture of the data plate would be a good idea, and since it will be considered a "truck" you will pay based on the GVWR not the actual weight.

I have been able to register trailers for less than the GVWR but I have never tried to "downgrade" a motor vehicle, I suspect they will not allow it.

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my state you pay for tonnage, or the max possible weight of the vehicle fully loaded, not what it's rated for.
Then you also end up having them screw up and register it as 6k lbs empty and 6k lbs max gross weight, and then have to go into an office to increase the amount you pay for the tonnage (and my truck is over 7k lbs empty)

AR Hog Hummer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All you need for state inspection is the standard stuff, headlights with high/low beams and a high beam indicator, turn signals, brake lights, windshield wipers, horn, brakes that work, mechanical parking brake, not bald tires, muffler, reflectors, at least one rear view mirror, etc. and of course liability insurance.

Although Harris county does not require emissions testing diesel are exempt even in counties that do require testing.

Unfortunately the state goes by the manufactures GVWR which does not change just because they removed weight, so if it is not stated on the paperwork from GP a picture of the data plate would be a good idea, and since it will be considered a "truck" you will pay based on the GVWR not the actual weight.

I have been able to register trailers for less than the GVWR but I have never tried to "downgrade" a motor vehicle, I suspect they will not allow it.
Is a lighted license plate required and did they give you any grief about the width? I got mine titled in TX but haven't registered it yet (I live in Arkansas). AR doesn't register HMMWV's for on-road use. Since I have a farm in the panhandle, I decided to get a TX title and registration...Also, since it came out of Springtown, TX I had already paid all my taxes, so it was just a title fee for the blue title. I still need the inspection but will need to drive it to TX to do it and wanted to make sure I had everything in order before making the expedition to Texarkana.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
YES I forgot, the rear license plate must have a white light, sorry.
I think strictly by law clearance lights may be needed and backup lights but have never had that come up, seems if it is not there they don't worry too much about it. The H1 has them but I have seen several Humvee's that were inspected that did not, so I would guess that would be somewhat of a crap shoot.
If they ask how wide it is tell them you are pretty sure it is 79", 80" is the point that clearance lights are required.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could also get the somewhat restricted military vehicle plates, no inspection is required

AR Hog Hummer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Mogman! I read the requirements on the TxDOT website. Backup lights are required to work it they are there, but if they are not installed on the truck, then they are not required. The only thing I'm worried about it the width. I guess I'll just try it and if one shop has an issue, I'll go find another one...

2nDefense

Unfortunately the numbers I provided are off my data plate. 15500 GVWM. I think I recall years back people lowering by adding a new data plate for the 923a2’s.

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my state you pay for tonnage, or the max possible weight of the vehicle fully loaded, not what it's rated for.
Then you also end up having them screw up and register it as 6k lbs empty and 6k lbs max gross weight, and then have to go into an office to increase the amount you pay for the tonnage (and my truck is over 7k lbs empty)
The max legal possible weight IS what it is rated for, called GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating)

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unfortunately the numbers I provided are off my data plate. 15500 GVWM. I think I recall years back people lowering by adding a new data plate for the 923a2’s.
That is what Texas uses to set the license fee on trucks.
That info was probably on the SF-97 also

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is all you could have provided them unless you were to do something deceitful.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter

The max legal possible weight IS what it is rated for, called GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating)

When I said "max possible weight" I meant the maximum that it might weigh while I have it out on the road, NOT just what the manufacturer says the max is. I kind of jumbled what I intended to say and it sounded better in my head.

2nDefense

I am fairly certain at this point you can register you gross weight less than a data plate. This would have to be the case as they have regulations that cover increasing between registered and allowable.

Wont have an sf97 until next year though so I guess I’ll see then.

Additional Gross Weight Registration (TRC 621.406):

1. If the gross weight of the motor vehicle is not heavier than the maximum gross weight allowed for the vehicle but is heavier than the registered gross weight for the vehicle, the weight enforcement officer shall require the operator or owner of the vehicle to apply to the nearest available county assessor-collector to increase the gross weight for which the vehicle is registered to a weight equal to or heavier than the gross weight of the vehicle before the operator or owner may proceed.

nairb

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am fairly certain at this point you can register you gross weight less than a data plate. This would have to be the case as they have regulations that cover increasing between registered and allowable.

1. If the gross weight of the motor vehicle is not heavier than the maximum gross weight allowed for the vehicle but is heavier than the registered gross weight for the vehicle, the weight enforcement officer shall require the operator or owner of the vehicle to apply to the nearest available county assessor-collector to increase the gross weight for which the vehicle is registered to a weight equal to or heavier than the gross weight of the vehicle before the operator or owner may proceed.
I just titled/registered my m1123 in Texas and they seemed to ignore what was on the SF-97/data plate in regards to weight. My data plate and SF-97 listed gross weight at 10300 and curb weight as 5700. On my registration paper work they list it as 8000 and 6000.

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I think what you are quoting here is in reference to commercial trucks. They can be plated across a wide weight range. This allows the enforcement officer to have a truck replatted at a higher weight$$$$ than is indicated on his registration and plate if the truck is caught overweight. This is also applicable to the federal 2290 that is required to obtain a state plate in the first place, topping out at $550.00 for 80,000 lbs. if I remember correctly, then you get a state plate at around $1300.00 for an apportioned plate in TN. And then there is insurance................................ I think I'll have another cup of coffee, I'm RETIRED!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks