• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Thermostats

papakb

BAD DATA HERE! THE CORRECT NUMBER FOR THE MR GASKET THERMOSTAT IS 4367. This is their 2.5", 180 degree thermostat.

Papakb

With the warmer summer months here now I wanted to post this information on the thermostat I just installed. I had the front end pulled apart to replace the fan clutch and water pump and decided to go ahead and flush the radiator, change out the hoses and belts and replace the thermostat. The one that was in the truck was an OEM 190 degree stainless thermostat and I was looking for one that would pass a little more coolant and cut down the number of fan cycles when I was driving. What I came up with was a Mr Gasket 4364 high flow thermostat. I opted for a 180 degree thermostat which is below the factory 190 but I was thinking it might allow the truck to run just a bit cooler. The 4364 is the correct diameter (2.12") for the HMMWV.

Mr Gasket 4364 thermostat.jpg

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a heads up the MR Gasket 4364 does NOT fit the HMMWV, I should have done more research my bad, as now I am sitting here with a worthless thermostat and a truck apart.

Attachments

papakb

Gentlemen, This was my error and I apologize for it. The correct part number is their 4367 thermostat with a diameter of 2.5" with an opening temp of 180 degrees.. Their 4364 is only 2.12" in diameter and as Mogman points out it WILL NOT FIT.

papakb

With the heat wave we've been having recently it's hard to tell. Back when I did this I believe that the time between fan cycles did increase slightly but maybe that was only wishful thinking on my part. What I wanted was the 180 degree thermostat like Mogman said but I was also looking for as much coolant flow as I could get by opening up the size of the passage in the thermostat itself. Totally removing the thermostat is generally a bad plan unless its struck closed and you don't have any other options.

papakb

Since Mr. Gasket is a part of the Holley family of products I wasn't too worried about getting Chinese junk.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks