• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Tires, how old can they be used?

Pat Gray

What is the age limit for tires? I'm looking for a set of tires and see a lot of 10+ year old ones for sale. I drive only on occasion and it's not up armored. What's your opinion on them?
I live in Washington State, anyone around have a good set for sale?

Thanks, in advance.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Opinions are go to vary. The Goodyear original tire warranty is 10 years for military tires. That is 10 years from manufacture.

IF the tires were stored properly, IF they are kept inflated enough, IF you don't drive it very much, and IF you are lucky, they'll last longer....

If you ask Goodyear, they'll tell you the tires are junk, even if they look good.

With that said, I didn't want to take the risk and was lucky enough to buy a new set of (military) tires for mine. But keeping them properly inflated is a big deal, they will crack and eventually fail otherwise.

There are surplus tire sellers who have these tires BEFORE the 10 year period for sale. You may want to consider spending a bit more and going that way instead. Just my 2 cents.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've used tires that were 20 years old and they worked just fine.
I bought a set less than 10 years old with almost new tread, and they started failing within 6 months of putting them on the vehicle.
It completely depends on how the tires are stored, and what tire they are to begin with.

The Goodyear MT tires seem to last forever, but are rock hard and not that great of traction.

The military won't use any tires more than 5 years old anymore, due to the Goodyear MT/R issues from a few years ago.

I don't have any tires for sale, but I recommend ordering from Feltz tire. Guaranteed date codes, excellent customer service, and good prices.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks