• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV's for sale, no longer maybe, it happened

Status
Not open for further replies.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There was some well known people that declared the oval office was behind the EPA debacle as well.

This is why we didn't just run out and say they would sell HMMWVs.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
and 6.5 NA engines were orderable as repair parts in 1997ish time frame. A lot of 6.2's with no real problem were changed out for 6.5's due to BS'ed paperwork. "motor severely underpowered/excessive exhaust/type problems" all that were able to be "fixed" as per ULLS-G with "replace engine"... Seemed to happen a lot in commanders and senior NCO's HMMWV's... And mine.. :)

Ditto on everything you stated....been there, done that, seen that...still goes on today in my unit. At my base, it's all civilian mechanics. 6.5 was direct replacement for the 6.2, referred to as detuned with V belt setup. The A2 had the 6.5NA from the factory.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
i was told lastnight by my armored door source that he has an exclusive to buy the remaining M998s that were not in this round, these trucks that were auctioned first were the cleanest of the bunch and all running, the next batch will be non operational for one reason or another and he is buying a lot sum before auction as well. There is not 4000 trucks going to civi hands, 99% of them are getting the chop by an Aussie contracted company as they are uparmored and not for civi hands.

Also to the people bitching about the pricing, you cannot compare your price of your titled 1985 truck to a 1994, there is a value difference, those 85 trucks havent seen Mil PM work siince 1993, while these new bunch trucks were in PM status up to this year.
I wonder why you did not just wait and buy one from this source when he gets the "big batch".

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, the 25 that just sold were all operational(despite what has been reported).

And the next 4000 are all junk. Is this guy going to sell them at all?

Good intel. thanks.

TedG

I know this is a little of topic but I think it should be known.

The funny thing about wanting the heavy doors is that there is a lot more to mount them than just a vinyl or x door. Think of it this way, if you bulk your shoulders, arms and wrists up to uber size, but do not re-inforce your core, your chest (a/b posts and a/b beams on hmmwv's) will cave in. So please keep in mind that wanting to install heavy doors, you need to want all of the other parts the support the heavy doors or you will find them laying on the ground with a portion of the tub attached after your first off-road speed bump. Oh, one more thing. The parts to support are more money than the doors.

This reminds me of my hmmwv sticky in the hmmwv forum: if you think a hmmwv can ford water 60" deep by adding only a snorkel and exhaust pipe, you are in for a BIG surprise.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial

Good intel. thanks.
Anyone remember "That Guy"

Rolling_Eudaimonia

:p

Last edited:

3dAngus

Good intel. thanks.
I think at least two of them slipped through the cracks. Those darn inefficient DOD personell.
Now that two slipped through, we will probably see an avalance of 3970 more. It just never stops.
END THE MADNESS!!!:)

Blackmagic, there is a reported 4000 quantity FMS sale. I don't know if its true, cause I read it on the internet.
Your contact with the vendor and the recent discussion may have some truth to it, but I would take it with a grain of salt.
We just have to wait and see. I suspect that your contact may know what he is talking about, but you guys are talking of two different things, without realizing it. Let's just give it some time. Personally, I don't believe a word of it has to do with the civilian sales, which is another issue, contract, and sales option being made available to this new auctioneer.
One thing that did surprise me is, I was expecting at least 8 more HMMWVs come up for auction in the next auction and they are not there, so, its just a wait and see game. Good luck with your two HMMWV sales. Looks like you got a lot of visibility in them through this thread.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Im being told that the majority of those 4000 will not be surplused due to be uparmored gun trucks that cannot be demilled.
So, from ~280,000 HMMWW's. 4,000 of them were selected to be auctioned. And out of 4,000 of them, only 25 (well 27 since there's two more listed now) aren't armored and are sold/to be sold?

I'm not an expert on the matter so this is purely speculation.

Let's say there's 280K variants out there. Let's say 100K of them are gone from demil/scrap/war. That means there's 180K left. Let's give the 1033 program an advantage. They got 100K of them. So we've got 80K units left. So they picked 5% out of the 80K to come up with 4,000 units to surplus. So let's use this 27 number of viable, non armored vehicles.

So they picked 0.675% of the 4K units to surplus to sell? The other 99.325% are to be scrapped?

If the were going to only carve out 0.675% of these to sell to the public, why would they have even bothered changing the demil and rules?

I'm just looking at this from a pure numbers perspective, because we all know how "smart" government can be. It just doesn't add up to me why they'd bother for such a tiny drop in the bucket.

(BTW, I know the local NG 20 mins north of me have several unarmored HMMWV sitting in their motorpool. I know the other NG about 35 min east of me has a comparable number of unarmored vehicles sitting as well. I suspect this is a trend all over the US for units that were never deployed overseas)

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I should probably delete all those numbers and calculations before clinto and swiss get all excited.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or put it in a colored graph.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I've already started a graph! I know how much ya'll love them.

Steve6x6x6 said my last one made him sick.

:)

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll take any statement about what's going on with a grain of salt because that's about as much as it's worth. We all know from past experience that DLA can change things at will. One batch sold and there's the start of another batch coming so there you have it. Personally I'll spend 20k on something a little more unique to my area than a HMMWV. Other than the passenger keeping his butt warm in the winter (and sweating it off in the summer) I can't really say I enjoyed them that much when I was driving them.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So they picked 0.675% of the 4K units to surplus to sell? The other 99.325% are to be scrapped?

If the were going to only carve out 0.675% of these to sell to the public, why would they have even bothered changing the demil and rules?

I'm just looking at this from a pure numbers perspective, because we all know how "smart" government can be. It just doesn't add up to me why they'd bother for such a tiny drop in the bucket.
I betcha GP has something to do with this. "Why DLA, we oughta sell these HMMWVs for ya, just look at the return!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks