• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hog Farm Deuce

KaiserM109

RE: Clean Up

That would be a great candidate for bobbing!

Non-turbo, so not a real strong puller for cargo, the hydraulic reservoir where the tool box used to be could be removed for ground clearance and the batteries have already been relocated, all you have to do is hook them up.

Is that an original or home-built hard top?

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Home Grown

The top is home made but done very well, I need to see how hard it will be to replace, doesn't look like a lot of welding to keep it on, it is anchored to the canvas top supports, very sturdy!
I am hoping it will start, brake pedal goes all the way to the floor, so I will need the 543 anyway, it would just be nice to know it's a runner!
James G.

Bill W

RE: Clean Up

Nice score
If its complete with pump,you should easily make your money back by selling that Vac tank.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
$

Not counting my chicks before they hatch but, I have 38 gallons of really good looking diesel out of the truck and I already have someone asking about buying the tank! I have been checking around but still no idea of a price on the tank? I am guessing its about 3000 lbs so it worth a couple of hundred dollars just in scrap. I may make a profit on the purchase and still have a pretty decent truck for free. Only thing, last time things were working out this well I got LAID OFF!
James G.

KaiserM109

Re: $

rumplecat said:
... Only thing, last time things were working out this well I got LAID OFF!
James G.
I know what you mean. On June 25, '07 I won the bid on my deuce; June 26 my job went to India! That's why I drove it home instead of having it shipped.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Turns but Won't Start

Well, preped the Deuce, new fuel, new filters, new batteries, turns over great, but no sound of a fuel pump and no fuel, check the fuse, no fuse, replaced the fuse, still no running sound and no fuel? I may have found why it was parked in the tree line, even though both filter bowls were full of very clean diesel. Any good fast sources of fuel pumps?
Thanks,
James G.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Move

GL got pretty pushy about me moving the Deuce(8 Day from end of Auction!) So I flat hauled it to my storage place. They are normally pretty picky about what they allow on the property, it is a pretty nice place. Turns out the guy running it was one of the officers in charge of testing on the M715 5/4 ton Jeep program! As long as it doesn't leak too much it doesn't have to be pretty to park it! It was only about a twenty mile tow but it was good practice.
James G.

PS: I also found a winch for the Deuce, it's buried in a ditch bank with a couple of NP205 transfer cases, looks rebuildable?

Attachments

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was a Larger Winch

There was a much larger aluminum winch near this one but it must have been hauled away for scrap? It looked larger that the 45K drag winch on my wrecker, someone was much man to move that monster, it had to weigh 3-4 hundred pounds and in a really inaccessible location too.
James G.

KaiserM109

Re: The Move

rumplecat said:
GL got pretty pushy about me moving the Deuce(8 Day from end of Auction!) So I flat hauled it to my storage place. ... Turns out the guy running it was one of the officers in charge of testing on the M715 5/4 ton Jeep program! ...
I thought they always gave you 14 days; maybe they made an exception because of the honey dew tank.

If I was responsible for the government buying the M715 series with an engine that AM admitted was a mistake, I wouldn't advertise it.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Short TIme line

The shorter time line was because they had a reserve on the sale, and no one contacted me about it. When I called about it they told me that I could have it for my bid if I wanted it! They would just move the reserve down to my bid? I asked why a reserve if they were just going to match the high bid, she said all GSA vehicle bids had to have a reserve?

The storage guy was not very kind to the 715 but he said if you think it had problems when issued you should have seen it before they made the improvements in it!
James G.

KaiserM109

Re: Short TIme line

rumplecat said:
The storage guy was not very kind to the 715 but he said if you think it had problems when issued you should have seen it before they made the improvements in it!
The M715 had an overhead cam inline 6 that you couldn't keep on the road. When Uncle Sam geared up for Viet Nam they rebuilt a lot of M37s instead of sending over M715s. The problem with that idea was that they didn't support the M37 with parts and it has a nasty habit of snapping the long rear axle.

I have an '83 J20 which is the same as the M715 with a nicer cab and box and a good engine. I love it!

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Hog Truck is Alive

Found time to work on the Hog Truck, pulled the pump, as everyone said the bottom of the pump housing had fallen off! Replaced the pump and had my brother in law help in the cab as I tried to stand by with a board to kill the air to the engine and bleed the filters as we tried the pump/engine for the first time. Had prepped the engine, tank and fuel lines/filters told him to flip the switch to see if the pump would run, nothing, no noise no click no nothing, thought not just the pump, what could be wrong, had power, bad pump? Checked on bother in law.......He had flipped a lever all right the turn signal lever!?!?!?!?!?! I flipped the master power lever and she hummed away, engine started on the first try! I had to help with the idle for about 20 seconds then leveled out great, no smoke, no funny noises! Now I just need to dump that tank, for a profit!
James G.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: The Hog Truck is Alive

Check out those inner duals. That sucker looks like it has those 40 ply forklift tires. But a big arse PTO driven turbine and you cold have one helliuva shop vac there.

Bill W

RE: The Hog Truck is Alive

Call/e-mail/fax?, a few of your local sepic tank or porta potty sevice companies to see if they want to buy the vac tank which by rough guess I'd say was around 1700gal capacity. Quick sale $1200.00?? ( if everything is working?) and they have to pull it off

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does Both

It sucks it out of the barn and then blows it out onto the field as fertilizer! It runs off the stock PTO and one big hydraulic pump mounted beside the engine.
James G.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks