• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hoist mounted and at work..sort of.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
i got a hoist less the ram at ITC a long time back. Finally got it mounted. Needs a bit more support side to side. It picked up 200# or so w/o wobbling or bending anything. Bout time, tires are heavy!

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
David, that's the thread where I decided to get one! Kind of took you idea. Thanks!

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am getting older every year and at 53 the lifting gets a lot harder.

I debated the larger one like you had but when I saw the one I got for under $50 I kind of took it as a challenge and wanted to keep the troop seats working for use at church and youth events. I really love this site since it gives us all such great things to ponder about adding to our trucks. I hope the fires are not near you and that you continue to save your back with the crane.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very usefiul addition to these trucks. My back can ill tolerate lifting these days so one of the lifts are essential.

Elwenil

I have been pondering something like this for a while. I don't have a truck to use it on but I had thought of making a folding hoist on top of the Ramcharger to put gear and/or a spare on the roof rack. I have a nice little 1200lbs ATV winch that would be perfect for a small boom.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Mine is mounted to the bed with reinforcing channels underneath. Picking up the 1,000+ pound load did bend the bed a little and I am going to add additional bracing on the mount when I get home but lifting even my 500 pound generator was easy just lift and swing inboard.

Mine is the small fry of the bunch but it was cheap and it is very out of the way when not in use. The nice thing about them too is that you can take the crane off of the post and if you have a post mounted on the front bumper you can use the crane up there too.

PWM

I am not sure of the cranes capacity, I built it myself. I doubled the tubing from a 2000 pound engine hoist for the main boom. I put on a 2000 pound capacity single line hand winch and a snatch block. I made my base out of a 16 inch by 16 inch plate that is a half inch thick. The base is bolted to the bed floor through two of the beds cross braces. In the pictures, I was testing it on some wet logs that weighed about 500 pounds each. Just messing around the house with close to 2000 pounds on the hoist the bed doesn’t show any signs of bending. It may not be fancy but it works.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
What are you guys using to control rotation? Under 1K it probably does not matter that much, but the heavier it gets the more worry of something getting out of control. I like how you built your crane.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice set up PWM! I borrowed the blue hyd. cylinder from work to see if it worked. It was perfect. Got another one from HF, installed it, then realized that the top of the thing was taller than the bow corner!!! :shock: What a dufus. aua Oh well, my dad is a TV repairman, he's got an awsome set of tools. I can fix it. :wink:

PWM

If the truck is at any slight angle turning a load can be very hard.. I have a drag brake and lock to help control the swing. I make sure I don’t put my body anyplace that can get smashed if the load gets out of control. After lifting a couple of heavy loads I decided to build a worm gear manual rotation that will be a lot safer, I just have to build it. I built mine a little too tall, but I don’t have a cover. I also cant use the troop seats on the passenger side, but I don’t haul people so it is not a big deal.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Very impressive, PWM. :beer:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Was wondering if the winch is different or the mounting is different between PWM and DJ's?

I'm in a situation where I need to get about 350 pounds from a height of around 14 feet. Due to space limitations, I have to mount it on a 1008. Maybe a mounting plate with a pull pin that allows the crane to fold forward or backward for storage. Anything like that out there or do I need to get a welder on this?

Homesick

Djfreema said:
Here's my attempt at the poor mans crane truck. Got a 1000LB bed hoist and 2000 LB winch, welded a mounting plate to the hoist and bolted up the winch. Haven't gotten to pick anything up yet so I don't know how well it works.
Thats the way to do it. Forget that manual labour stuff.
But I would mount a roller fairlead on the end of the boom. It will save your cable, and pull a little smoother.
I'm just hoping to find one of our Canadian Deuces with a HIAB picker behind the cab.