• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

holmes 600 on a m35a2

jrobinson5093

Has any one put i civi holmes 600 twin boom wrecker on a m35a2. Ifsome one has i have not seen it I want to can any one help me in tellin me anything I will need to have or do to the truck.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IIRC the 600 is designed for a single axle truck. The 750 would be more appropriate but if you have a 600, press on. Adapting it to the truckc will take some effort as the boom will be over the top of the FWD axle. You could bob the truck back down to a single screw I suppose. Offer up some more detail on what you have planned.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
A 600 is a medium wrecker body (see pic) so I think it would fit on a bobbed chasis if you put 5 ton front springs on it.

That being said the deuce only has 140 HP and will drag azz with a heavy load hung out behind it.

You will also have issues insuring it (ask me how I know).

No power steering so manuvering it to hook up could be an issue.

You might need a CDL to drive it depending on your state's DOT rules.

You will also have to figure out the mechanics of making the boom winch work using a PTO set up either from the back of the transfer case or off the transmission.

It would have a cool factor but you have to consider the other issues.

If you do it pos pics......I have my eye on a smaller Holmes boom near me and am considering putting it on a bobber. (see 2nd pic)

Attachments

m816Buch

wreckerman... pic 2.....looks like you could cut the bed back to were the mud flaps are, plate the frame for a flat bumper for a
pintle and draw bar.......should work.......mount masts, depending on how long hoist extensions are, in the center or to the
front of front wheel set.......room from cab to masts for tools or whatnots.......keep the duals

jrobinson5093

I was mainly planning on using it as a recovery truck. for pullin out stuck tractors, cotton module trucks ect we have
a lot of that in south georgia. But i would use it to tow from time to time. The holmes i have is already on a 1973 ford
f600 it is a ok truck just not heavy enough and i like that the deuce has air on board. I was tryin to find a transfer case pto
and make drive shaft from it to the holmes and do away with the chain drive. i have seen one done but have not had a chance to talk to the owner but did manage to steal a photo.

Attachments

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
o and how do you know about the insurance
When I had my M816 wrecker I put farm tags on it and got a farm insurance policy. My (Progressive) insurance agent told me when she sold
me the policy that if I towed anything with it on a public road (my stuff or anyone elses) that my policy would not cover it.

Tow insurance is very expensive for a reason.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
There was both a 5t and a 2 1/2t photo type Holmes set up built, but never produced, the A/W style won out, , the 5t used a WW2 Holmes body, the deuce used one smiler, only smaller, both were twin swing booms
5t--------------XM62E4-twin boom Holmes ( same bed as used on the 4t WW2 Diamond T)
the deuce ---XM60E1, used a 650 Holmes twin boom, there is pic. on page 342, lower right, in "U.S. MILITARY WHEELED VEHICLES" by Fred Crismon

Last edited:

jrobinson5093

I did not no that i looked them up but only found the five ton verson but it looked awesome. I know mine will look a lil off with the big gap between the cab and boom mast but i figure i can put some tool boxes there to take up the space.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks