• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Holset HX55 on a LDT 465-1D?

Bantha RV

Greetings guys. I tried quite a few search terms looking to find out if and HX55 or HX52 would be a good swap for the D turbo. If this has been addressed somewhere else I’ll gladly follow a link and stop wasting everyone’s time with a fresh thread….I just can’t find it after searching and scrolling through 25 pages in this forum.

My truck is currently a stock AMG 1971 M109A3 with Continental LDT 465-1D with the exceptions of:
- FDC bypassed
- EGT and Boost gauges installed
- 395/85 R 20 on MRAP wheels

I currently get about 11# of boost max and EGT comfortably stays below 1200* even under load. It does 55mph indicated (63mph actual) on the level with about 6# of boost and 800* EGT. So it seems like my fuel is set at a pretty good spot with the current turbo.

I’ve seen and read about guys putting in HX40 with good results. I’d like to minimize leak and drag points, and both the HX55 and HX52 can be had with a T6 flange which avoids the need for an adapter to a T4 like on the HX40. However, it seems the smallest turbine (hot end) is 22cm with that flange size, whereas the HX40s are 16cm. The HX52 and HX55 are rated for displacements from 7L and up, so our little 7.8L straight sixes are at the small end of their applicability.

The torque curve on the multi-fuel has all the power at the bottom end and I’m mostly interested in trying to even that out by getting more boost at the top end to improve highway and hill performance. I don’t need the turbo to spool up super fast, but I’d like to have the truck still make decent power at 2200-2400rpm or so. I also want to keep EGT down so would rather error on the side of a little lag from a bigger turbine rather than a restriction from too small of one.

On the cool side both the HX52 and HX55 have pretty big compressors with 65mm-67mm inducers vs the 60mm on the HX40. Both can be found with internal waste-gates as well.

Not needing to go any faster, not needing to accelerate any harder, but want to be able to pull a hill a little better without being a portable chicane and getting rear ended by someone on their cellphone.

Just wondering if anyone has real world knowledge playing with these bigger turbos on the multi-fuel, or if I’d be better off sticking with the HX40 and a T6 to T4 adapter.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks