• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Holy Crap.....I got one!!!!!!!

sak00

Hey Guys,

I have been lurking around here for awhile and learning as much as I can. I have been keeping my eye open and was looking for a Deuce, but figured I'd never find one. Well that changed on Thursday when I found one about 70 miles from the house. Went to look at it today and I'll be damned, drove it home.
It a 1970 AM General, 24,000 miles, Non-turbo, no winch, air front axle, air transfer case, and all the lights work. Not exactly what I wanted, but it was close enough to the house and the price was "way" right. Only bad thing so far is two leaking wheel cyls. and some cancer in the doors and the cab. I figured this would be a good starter truck anyway. Drove home with no problem and actually ran great. I was pleasantly surprised. So I'll have a little body work to do, but mostly this will be a fun truck. I'm sure I'll have more questions and you all will have all the answers. Thanks to all for your continued help.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yeak, Sak, that looks good. Adding a winch and other stuff is easy.

Congratulations!! :beer:

RE: Here

Nice!

I'm crossing my fingers and saving up pennies so that when one comes along with the turbo multifuel, I can pounce on it. Now, convincing the girlfriend to let me....

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Here

Right on! What is the rack behind the cab? That looks like a very complete truck, what did ya end up paying fer it..if you don't mind me asking.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny: Find what? The girlfriend or the truck? :D My reco on the girlfriend holding you back...ignore her and go for it. They'll be plenty of time for her to trim your sails when she is your wife. I'll be honest...my girlfriend NEVER said a word about anything until we got married and it was OUR money that I was spending. Even with that said, you might be surprised how many trucks I've bought since we got married...and I've even added to the stable since we had the baby (nice M1028 coming soon). It is all in the negotiations... One time, I started out negotiating for a tank...and ended up with an M1015A1 (M548 variant)...not too bad. Start high...and get what you want. My suggestion...tell her you want an M939 series truck...and then fall back to a deuce. These are all just helpful suggestions...none are meant in a negative way. :wink:

sakoo: Nice ride. Doors are easy. For what they cost, just replace them unless you are a good welder. It sounds like you got a nice truck there.

ONTOS66

RE: Re: RE: Here

Nice ride - a great project for this time of year. Fix up a few odds and ends and TAKE A ROAD TRIP! (with photos of course) Looks like you have room in your yard for more green toys as time goes by - and they multiply like rabbits!
:)

sak00

Yea, I have the room thank goodness. I found it on craigslist and it was located in Winter Haven (around Cypress Gardens) This was an old Sheriff's truck, so the rack over the cab was for the light bar. I bought it from a private party who wanted to get rid of it. Now the sick part....$2100.....Needs new canvas on the cab and the cargo area. Has troop seats, although they cut the drivers side in half. So I have 3/4 troop seats. No big deal. Ran great all the way home. Needs some body work and a couple of wheel cylinders. Oh, and the parking brake and the Temp. guage don't work. That's all I've found so far. I'll play a little here and there with it.
What's a good price for covers for the cab and cargo area? Also is vinyl or canvas better? I know canvas will cost more, but what am I looking at. Also where is a good place to look for doors? I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes on. Thanks for all the nice comments.

aboonski

I don't know where Brooksville Florida is but if you look at the map of Florida, I am located on the east coast inbetween Jacksonville and Miami in an area Known as West Merlbourne. If and when you are ready for a winch for your truck, I have two spares in my garage with 200' of cable, hook and chain and a driveshaft - no PTO though. I bought these years ago from GovLiquidation and picked them up at Homestead AFB in a lot of four items. The other two items in the lot were two 5-ton Yale chain hoists which I have never used as yet and probablky never will. I spent $800.00 for the lot so that means I will probably want $250.00 for one of the winches and a driveshaft. Some of the places I have visited want much more for just a bare winch. I also have a whole lot of tech manuals in case you need information and I may even have an extra owner's manual for the M35 too. My truck is a 1968 Kaiser Jeep M35A2C with the hardtop and winch. You have a nice looking truck by the way! Al Broadbent

steelandcanvas

Great find, and only 70 miles from the house! I new at this also, just been at it since February. You came to the right place for help, these ol' timers on SS are the greatest!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Hey Al, I remember that lot of winches at Homestead. Matter of fact, I'm interested on one of them if I can get the money into my green account here soon. SAK, good looking truck. I may have one door thats fixable somewhere in the back yard. I'll go searching for it later today after the sun cools off a bit.