• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Holy hell 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How about a 1/2" 24v fuel cutoff solenoid after the fuel filter. Normally open and closed by am emergency switch. That will shut her down fast. Just a thought.

Mark
I think the rubber lines are 3/8". So I was looking at a 3/8 inch NORMALLY OPEN 24V DC VDC Brass Solenoid Valve, with a 3/8" barb on each end, clamp, and powered off a fused 24V connection directly to the battery through a toggle switch hidden (or not).

Only thing is that I guess this cannot be used as an anti-theft device as (most) of these do not seem to be rated for constant duty, and it would probably drain the battery if you used it and it was parked for a long time.

Use N/C and it could be an anti-theft device without the risk of battery drain, but again, most of these are not rated for constant duty. I assume ChinesiumCrapulance most likely.

I see many for Cummins part numbers for these but they don't say if they are N/O or N/C.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This might work. Rated for continuous duty.

Interesting concept.

So it pinches the hose to close it off. Yeah that would work but the cost is high. But it would work as a imobilazer and a emergency fuel cut off.

Mark

HUMMER H1

I like electric shut off valve,

let’s say you are driving at 50 mph,
How do you stop the truck to get out and turn it off ?

If you have electric valve with a Switch, you can smile while you are waiting for the engine to die.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Curious to know what might happen if, during such a runaway, you opened the fuel filter drain-cock behind the left front tire. Path of least resistance and all.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter

If you have electric valve with a Switch, you can smile while you are waiting for the engine to die.
Fuel line is just behind the doghouse. Just mount the device on or behind the doghouse for easy access while sitting in the cab.

Also, if you kill power to shut off and that doesn’t work, you need to turn power back on to activate the switch. Adding one more step during an emergency is never good.

Last edited:

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Curious to know what might happen if, during such a runaway, you opened the fuel filter drain-cock behind the left front tire. Path of least resistance and all.

That also crossed my mind but would have to wonder if that small dump valve (high rpm) would pull enough pressure for the IP not to function. I think it may possibly slow down the runaway a small degree but not stop it.

Since more than likely you would be driving the truck when this IP failure would happen I feel the best option would be to push a guarded switch and cut fuel off after the filter. Horrific story.

Mark

Autonomy_Lost

Some sort of cable linkage would be the best of both worlds. Simplicity of a manual valve, but still able to actuate from inside the cab. I think a ball valve rigged up to a bicycle type cable may work nicely.

Edit: in fact AM general makes a cable actuated valve to turn on and off the heater core on earlier model trucks. Its all brass...not sure if it would be safe for use with fuel or not.

Last edited:

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Benefit of the electric switch, you can tie it into the ignition, which seems to be the first thing everyone is going to in this emergency...not much thinking needed.

Normally closed I imagine is a spring return. Relatively fail-safe.

As for price, typically items available from McMaster-Carr are decent to good quality and can be trusted. Never know for sure until we see the unit and try it out.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some sort of cable linkage would be the best of both worlds. Simplicity of a manual valve, but still able to actuate from inside the cab. I think a ball valve rigged up to a bicycle type cable may work nicely.

Edit: in fact AM general makes a cable actuated valve to turn on and off the heater core on earlier model trucks. Its all brass...not sure if it would be safe for use with fuel or not.
How about a manual valve with the handle/knob into the cabin where the fording valve used to be? Fuel feed to the filter is in close proximity.

Maybe/sorta

1706631068953.png

Last edited:

Gamble

If you're in the truck by yourself and this occurs while on a crowded road your options are truly limited. If you turn the ignition switch to off and you can't stop the truck and you don't ALREADY have an IP kill switch installed then your only option is to slam on the brakes and get on the shoulder. If the brakes don't stop the truck fully and you can't get it into neutral then lower gear to drop rpms my only thought under that type of duress would have been to attempt a soft marriage to a telephone pole. Otherwise, you're looking at property damage, potential injuries (or death), civil suits, and DEFINITELY the news which none of us want any of us to go through. I did install IP cutoff switches as more of a theft deterrent than a mechanical safety for a broken fuel pump so that would be an option but it's all luck of the draw. If it happens while you're already in bumper to bumper traffic you're either way.

Really great thinking @Retiredwarhorses to pinch off the drain back hose on the IP. I wouldn't have come up with that one while trying to avoid motorists and getting to shoulder. Damn. Wouldn't even be easy to reach and not feasible if you can't get the truck to stop in the first place. I'm going to buy a couple more needle noses to keep in the trucks just because of this thread.

This is truly a worst case scenario. Real scary

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you're in the truck by yourself and this occurs while on a crowded road your options are truly limited. If you turn the ignition switch to off and you can't stop the truck and you don't ALREADY have an IP kill switch installed then your only option is to slam on the brakes and get on the shoulder. If the brakes don't stop the truck fully and you can't get it into neutral then lower gear to drop rpms my only thought under that type of duress would have been to attempt a soft marriage to a telephone pole. Otherwise, you're looking at property damage, potential injuries (or death), civil suits, and DEFINITELY the news which none of us want any of us to go through. I did install IP cutoff switches as more of a theft deterrent than a mechanical safety for a broken fuel pump so that would be an option but it's all luck of the draw. If it happens while you're already in bumper to bumper traffic you're either way.

Really great thinking @Retiredwarhorses to pinch off the drain back hose on the IP. I wouldn't have come up with that one while trying to avoid motorists and getting to shoulder. Damn. Wouldn't even be easy to reach and not feasible if you can't get the truck to stop in the first place. I'm going to buy a couple more needle noses to keep in the trucks just because of this thread.

This is truly a worst case scenario. Real scary
shifting into park isn’t the issue…it’s at wide open throttle till you get the motor off, left in gear and foot mashed on the brakes gets it down to
a manageable rpm’s

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks