• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Home from Fort Knox W/M1009

epitts

Made it home with my new (to me) M1009, Got sick as a dog going down. The folks at the Fort were great, thanks to Mike for all his help. The local motor pool folks were down get two of there trucks and were kind enough to give us a jump and the truck fired right up. They also took a shackle off there truck and let me have for chaining the truck down. Drove truck right onto the trailer. The GEN 2 light was bright, so first I will replace belts and clean grounds. Have not done any thing since I got home still sick. I did do check of what was left in the truck, jack w/two handles, lug wrench,shovel, reflective triangle, gun racks, radio rack, FM docking station for hand held radio w/two speakers, two shackles w/no pins, fire extinguisher, a bunch of locks w/out keys,rust, dirt, grime. The first think my wife said was "are you going to take off the flashing light on top right!!"

Attachments

Last edited:

twa@ezdn.net

Hope you feel better soon, Good looking M1009. I have had my M1009 for about a month and love it. This sight has everything you need to do anything to your truck.
I grow up in sullivan county just south of ya.
Good luck

M1009
M101a2

Bethelfire

Nice looking M1009! I picked one up from Ft Knox on 1/5 and have put about a 1000 miles on it since. No big issues just a few little electrical prob's(turn signals, high beams). So far I love the truck...works really well on the farm and as a fire rescue truck for the fire department.

epitts

Update

Installed the Doghead starter relay today and replaced the heater blower switch. Also found a tool pouch in the truck with new pliers,8" cresnt wrench and two screw driver. The Army has been nice enough to donate these tools for my truck tool kit. Will bring home my new batterys from work tomarrow. The truck seems to have alot of surface rust but none under the truck and only one spot will need filler. Will need to pull several dents and weld up some drilled holes. So go so far

Whitey

I'm jealous that yours still has its unit markings intact. I'm one of those guys that will keep it or restore it to what it was last used for. Unfortunately, all markings were sloppily covered with black spray paint. Have fun getting to know your new toy!

epitts

It lives, Had the time today and put in the new battery's. I just wanted to see how it would turn over, but it stated instead. Even with the GP card removed, started up fine and ran great. Took it for a short drive, needs some front end work. But other than that it runs fine and starts great.

ranchhopper

I'm jealous that yours still has its unit markings intact. I'm one of those guys that will keep it or restore it to what it was last used for. Unfortunately, all markings were sloppily covered with black spray paint. Have fun getting to know your new toy!
A rag soaked in laquer thinner will take the spray paint off and leave the bumper numbers intact.