• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Home with new toy! M51 Shelter trailer

67Beast

Well after driving for 18 of the last 36 hours, I'm home with my latest green toy. I picked up a very complete M51 chem shelter at a very good price. Everything appears to be there. The trailer only has some surface rust around the bottom edges. Tires look to be in decent shape with lots of tread left on them. When I opened the contol panel, I got a nice surprize as the hour meter only read 31 hours on it.

Plus when I stopped in Columbus Ohio last night to stay with an old freind, I got to meet Keith (Amanco) and see his nice M37. I felt bad for Keith as he got to meet about 8 of my old college fraternity brothers who showed up to say hello at the resturant.

Attachments

citizensoldier

RE: Home with new toy!

The trailer looks very nice. Thanks for trying to help me out.. You win some you loose some.. But I will remember the offer and your effort.
We going to see that thing all set up at your show? Or maybe at the Clare show? Would be a good display.

67Beast

Yep, it looked like it had been stored inside for quite a few years so it has not had much weather abuse. There was about an inch of dust settled on it when we pulled it out of the garage it was being stored in. Man I knoew the thing was big, but when he opened the garage door I was like wow it's really big. It filled out my 18' car trailer and had it at about max for weight. Luckily, Lane your water buffalo didn't make the trip up to meet me because there would have been no room left on the trailer to fit it. I was at about max capacity for weight. The inflatable was not rolled up real good so we streached it out and strapped it down along the top. The vinyl cargo cover for it is there but I choose to not try and fit it on since the tent wasn't rolled up properly anyway. It was about 92 deg. out with 80% humidity while we were loading it. It was a bit of a struggle to get it up and on, but with a little time and effort we got it up there.

Lane, I don't plan on taking it to Clare, because I will not have a way to tow it because I'll be using the deuce to tow the M715 over. But I will have it set up for the Silver Lake show. One of the local high school history teachers has some MV's and is big into the reenacting scene and he has military uniforms dating all the way back to the American Revolution. So we are going to set the M51 up as a temporary military uniform museum display for the public to tour through.

acetomatoco

I have new trailer Master Cylinder rebuild kits for you for $8 ea plus post from 05822. For all the air over hydraulic setups on the ton and a half trailers... pm me at rampartsllc@aol.com for further poop.

67Beast

acetomatoco said:
I have new trailer Master Cylinder rebuild kits for you for $8 ea plus post from 05822. For all the air over hydraulic setups on the ton and a half trailers... pm me at rampartsllc@aol.com for further poop.
Thanks, I still need to get it unloaded and hooked behind the deuce first. Once I start getting it opened up and cleaned, I'm sure I'll find a few more parts that I'll need.

67Beast

Well, thanks everybody. I just finally got it off my trailer and onto it's own wheels. Of course I had to slap to the back of the deuce and take it for a test drive. Rolled and tracked great, couldn't even feel it behind the deuce. Heck this thing is in such great shape that when I hooked the power cable to the deuce all the lights worked! I need to grab the camera and get a few shots of it all hooked up. Next I need to get the shelter off and repacked properly so that eveything straps in where it should be. I had already downloaded the TM for it weeks ago and printed it out so that I had plenty of reading material in the crapper.

67Beast

More pics, I took these last night when I got home from work. A couple of the guys in the shop helped me roll the shelter up a little better and get it wrapped in it's shelter carrier. It's still not rolled up correctly but it is at least set up now where I can lower the tailgate to unload it. Once I set it up on monday or tuesday, I'll get a chance to roll it back up properly and stow all the items in their proper spots.

Attachments

citizensoldier

That thing matches your truck awsome! Looks like it was taken out of use in the 70's and stored. Original period correct markings.
In case you didnt know. Wreckerman has purchase some of these in the past and knows where some more are. I know he scrapped out one or more. Just a heads up if you find something broken or need parts for it.

67Beast

citizensoldier said:
That thing matches your truck awsome! Looks like it was taken out of use in the 70's and stored. Original period correct markings.
In case you didnt know. Wreckerman has purchase some of these in the past and knows where some more are. I know he scrapped out one or more. Just a heads up if you find something broken or need parts for it.
Yep, his post on them is what got me interested in them, but I didn't want to drive all the way south to get one. So when I found this one in Shadyside Ohio near Wheeling WV it was going to be a lot shorter of a drive to get it. I can't wait too get it set up in the next couple of days to check and see if anything is missing or broken. I had already planned on contacting Wreckerman if something was missing to see if he could find it in any of the ones he is scrapping out.

The markings look great, like this thing just rolled out of the 60's. The only thing I have added to it for markings is a couple of stars. It just didn't look right without them. It shows that the Army removed the batteries and oil in 8/96 and the auction tag that was still on it show 97'. I think these guys bought it for the ultimate camping piece until they found out just how much of a project it is to set up. He said that they set it up only once and that it had been inside every since.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, super find! I've always thought having one of them would be a blast just afraid to buy one and the shelter be all rotted out. How big is the shelter when opened up?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If anyone is seriously interested in one of these units let me know.
I still have access to seven of them that I am going to scrap out.
Littlebob from LA bought on and was happy with it.
I'll let them go for $900.00.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks