• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hood And bumper numbers

panzerjunky

Hello Again
Just wondering where the hood numbers come from. how can I figgure out what is suppossed to be there in order to have stencils made I have been told it is the Vin No But some posts show different as some kind of order of mfg is this corect and if so is it the whole vin of parts there of also wher does the bumper No Come from ?
Thanks In advance
Jerry

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most of the time the hood number is painted on the inside of the doors. It is on the data plate sometimes too. If the truck was built between '68 and '72 the number will start with "04" followed by a letter and some numbers. If the truck was built between '72 and '82 the number will start with "NK" followed by some numbers and or letters. This number has nothing to do with your bumper numbers.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
bumper numbers designate the unit the vehicle belongs to. There is an entire manual on how this is suppose to be done.

panzerjunky

reply to m16ty

That has been my question I want to paint is as isued but....... it has been painted cammo and there are no numbers anywhere like you guys have described where can I find info as to how these numbers were formulated.
Thanks Jerry

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Google is our friend. She must be embraced.

U.S. MILITARY VEHICLES: MARKINGS

As for your vehicle, I got the info on your vin on the vin info thread. It was with the Idaho Army National Guard but no unit info was provided just the main property accounting office. You could google search to see what units they have and do the numbers up for any of those units. Or you could use numbers from any number of other outstanding military units from the past/present.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably the easiest thing to do is go to CANAC's "vin info thread" and post the VIN and I bet he can tell you the hood numbers and where it came from :wink:.

panzerjunky

Hood numbers

Thanks M16ty and carnac
As per M16ty my truck should have been made between or at least put into inventory Between 68 and 72 as I found a number on the door a little light wipe with Acetone and the number showed up Lucky i guess. It was a 8 character number 04N59571 with the 04 prefix but my title says 76 I am thinking someone just guessed when it was registered as when I tried to reg nothing came up on the Vin check. Does this sound logical?
Thanks Jerry

panzerjunky

Hood Numbers

I am still new to the site so am still figuring out navigation anyway I found that Carnac had replied and the MFG date was 71 I guess my title is a tad off will this be an issue down the road?
Thanks Jerry

bloodhound

That is real interesting stuff about hood numbers mine starts 04L, some one regestered my m35 as a 1958 reomie!!!anyone know the part number or nsn for the lipped seal in the thermosat housing ?

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Hold up folks, the 04 is not how I deduced it was a 71. The fact the registration number ends in 71 denotes a vehicle made in 1971 ---FOR THIS SERIES OF REG NUM ONLY.

Not all registration numbers for all types of vehicles provide this information.

Also, using a removable object (such as a door) as a guide to your registration number is quite dangerous. Doors get swapped all the time from vehicles leaving the fleet to vehicles sticking around. The number you should be using on a deuce is the serial number on the frame as the ultimate.

As for issues with your registration, that depends on if you ever want to sell it. You have a problem, I would go back to Idaho Truck and get them to fix it since they were the ones that screwed it up.

As for the part, I would suggest that since few folks probably caught that at the end there, it get posted to a separate thread. I can also say that a download and search within the technical manual ending in 20P would result in finding that NSN and CAGE code so you could ID the manufacturer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks