• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hood Numbering

renovate7

I'm getting ready to letter/number my hood. What size are the #'s? My VIN is too long, 17 digits, to put all of it on the hood. Is there an appropriate place to break it and just put the last X number of digits on the hood? Here in Florida you don't need to display a license plate if the VIN # is visible.

chemicaljohn

We can do the same here in Indiana. All our's says is to do it IAW military regs on the rear bumper. If I remember right, 4" letters is what we used in the army. But this same rule didn't say it could be shortened. On the other hand it didn't say it couldn't be shortened either.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
2 Inch characters are on the doors and bumpers on my junk....well, really 1 3/4, but I can't find those stencils or a machine that stamps that size.

Srjeeper

Check the TM's pertaining to markings, they give all the number sizes for the various locations and their placement. They are in the TM section.

Medlog can help with the reg #'s if it's an Army vehicle also.

CliffW

renovate7 said:
I'm getting ready to letter/number my hood. What size are the #'s? My VIN is too long, 17 digits, to put all of it on the hood. Is there an appropriate place to break it and just put the last X number of digits on the hood? Here in Florida you don't need to display a license plate if the VIN # is visible.
renovate7,
Not sure where you are getting the information from that you need to put the vin number on the vehicle. You can do the paperwork and sent to DHSMV and get license plate issued under 320.086(3) this subsection shall be permanent antique tag that valid for use without renewal as long as the vehicle is in existence.

Also it talks about "former military vehicle" in 320.086(5) and 320.086(6) that the tag and registration must be carried within the vehicle and available for inspection by any law enforcement officer.

This is how I have done mine. You just got to remember that the state statue is clear on what the vehicle is to be used for exhibitions, parades, or public display.

I know when I drive mine I have a lot of people want to talk to me about the truck. So to me that is a public display.

I would not put my vin number on the vehicle because that is not what the statue tells you to do.

I have worked in law enforcement for all of my adult life, in the traffic unit for most of that. I have talked with the state DHSMV on this and they have told me that every time I park my truck in the public such as wal mart, mall, winn dixie and such it is on display.

Here is a copy of the statue. Hope it helps if you need any help let me know. Where in Fl are you?

320.086 Ancient or antique motor vehicles; horseless carriage, antique, or historical license plates; former military vehicles.--

(3) The owner of an ancient or antique firefighting apparatus, former military vehicle, or other historical motor vehicle 30 years old or older which is used only in exhibitions, parades, or public display may, upon application in the manner and at the time prescribed by the department and upon payment of the license tax prescribed by s. 320.08(2)(a), be issued a license plate as prescribed in subsection (1) or subsection (2). License plates issued under this subsection shall be permanent and valid for use without renewal as long as the vehicle is in existence and its use is consistent with this subsection.

(5) A former military vehicle that is used only in exhibitions, parades, or public display is exempt from the requirement to display a license plate or registration insignia if the exemption is necessary to maintain the vehicle's accurate military markings. However, the license plate and registration certificate issued under this section must be carried within the vehicle and available for inspection by any law enforcement officer.

(6) For purposes of this section, "former military vehicle" means a vehicle, including a trailer, regardless of the vehicle's size, weight, or year of manufacture, that was manufactured for use in any country's military forces and is maintained to represent its military design and markings accurately.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: Hood Numbering

Hey CliffW, Can u PM me a pic of your avitar? I'm like!