• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hood side panel questions

rdixiemiller

I have seen deuces with or without hood side panels. Does the engine area stay cooler with them off?
Do most people prefer them on or off? The deuce looks good to me either way, so it may just be a matter of personal preference.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've heard that they were necessary for proper engine compartment evacuation. No data to back that up though!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been running my deuce with the right side hood panel off for thousands of miles and have some experience here.
It was removed to provide space for the deep water fording components, the crankcase breather tube, in particular. Removing it for fording also lets the water from the fan out as shown in the image below.
At standstill, when the engine is producing a minimum of heat, it will take longer to warm up, perhaps 5-10 minutes more. Now, with the wintercover, it warms up pretty quick anyway.

When you are on the road, it makes very little difference, may even be an advantage to keep the engine air filter canister cooler (=better performance. Most big trucks have the airfilter outside the engine compartment).

In the winter when we expected snow, I put a piece of plywood over the side when the truck wasn't used.

Before the Greenville, KY trip last month, I modified the hood panel and installed it again. It needed a small cut-out for the, now permanent, crankcase vent. The vertical pipe supporting the air intake pipe/mushroom also serves as the crankcase breather vent (from the crankcase vent filter).

Monster Man

Recovry4x4 said:
I've heard that they were necessary for proper engine compartment evacuation. No data to back that up though!
I think you may have seen said info in the PS article on operating the multifuel, it mentions not to remove or leave the panels down because the engine was designed with them in mind to have optimum cooling.

Now, real world experience is a different matter as Bjorn stated