• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hood Vibration Dampeners

JDToumanian

Hi Mark,
Yes, the paint is Gillespie's 24087. I used to think it was too brown, but it looks greener in bright sunlight (pic of hood was taken on a sunny day). Also, it's a nearly perfect match for the many NOS parts I have, and other parts where I chose not to repaint - Like my instrument panel... I found an original at Barstow Truck Parts (I caught them on a good day - they were friendly and only charged me $5), it's original paint has a few scratches but it looks great.

Regards,
Jon

Attachments

JDToumanian

How many dry sunny vehicle painting days a year do you get again? Sorry thats my weather jealousy talking.
Around here, it's not the sun (or lack thereof) I worry about, it's WIND. I'm in the high desert at the top of a mountain pass (Cajon Pass)... There are very few wind-free days here. A future project is to set up a wind turbine to take advantage of it. Then I'll buy (or convert) an electric car, and give the oil and power companies "the finger".

Have you gotten the chance to play with your post hole digger?
Nope! It's sitting exactly as it was when I unhooked the towbar. I've been working on the deuce, the pole setter is next. I've been collecting parts for it though. I'm looking forward to getting it running, but one truck at a time.

Jon

No.2Diesel

Yeah, wind is always good until you need to paint something.

Yes, giving the middle finger to someone or something certainly feeds the soul :wink:

Here is a link that might interest you JD. Even though its not wind generated electricity, this is a cheaper alternative that will deff. pay for all your electric usage.
http://www.atlantisenergy.org/index.html Check out the SunSlates product.

----------------------------

Electric Car: Find an article written by Jay Leno (His Tonight Show sucks big time as well as his interviewing skills but I respect his respect for all things old) recently about his 1908 Baker Electric car. I think it was in the NYTimes. His 99 year old car has the same range as todays electric cars. The original Edison Batteries, Motor, and Charger are still operational. Nothing could be simpler. For those with daily commutes that are less than 70 total miles a day electric cars should be more commonplace. They were 100 yrs ago!! For me its more about not having to fill the pocket of an oil tycoons privileged descendents than it is about the environment or foreign oil. But those are very close 2nd and 3rd.

I would like to do similar. Just find a pre 1930 car or truck (example: Model A or T Ford) and just slap a motor and batteries in it. Another advantage to using a pre 30 car is that they're pretty much all boxy so you can cover the roof of the car with solar cells and it would partially charge the system while your at the office!! :D

@ Jon,

thanks for the information on the paint type. I received a sample of a 24087 type yesterday from the only company in germany that mixes this type of paint, so I'm eager to see the results of my tests.
If it looks like the shade in your picture I'll be pleased....
One thing that makes me wonder a little on the picture of the motorhood is the orientation of the star on the hood. Is that right? I thought the top of the star had to face the front-window.

Regards,
Mark

JDToumanian

One thing that makes me wonder a little on the picture of the motorhood is the orientation of the star on the hood. Is that right? I thought the top of the star had to face the front-window.
No, the star should point to the front of the vehicle.

From TB 746-93-1, section 11 - National Symbol:
e) On horizontal surfaces the star will be applied with one point directly toward the front
of the vehicle or equipment. On vertical surfaces the star will have one point directly up.

That TM is here on SS in the Technical Manual section... It's the one to have if you're painting a truck to Vietnam-era colors.

Regards,
Jon

JDToumanian

Here is a link that might interest you JD. Even though its not wind generated electricity, this is a cheaper alternative that will deff. pay for all your electric usage.
Yes, interesting product... I really wish Solar would work for me, but it isn't practical. My house faces east-west, and the south-facing area is quite small. Also, the southern portion of my property has mature trees which provide shade to the roof, lowering my cooling costs here in the desert. Solar panels are too expensive to have them exposed only 1/2 the day, so the east-west roofs are out, too... and I don't really want free-standing panels filling my yard - That's where the MVs are!

Wind is the way to go here. I can get 6-8kw per wind turbine, and turning 24/7 combined with batteries and inverter (also using the power company's credits for excess generation as a 'battery' - my meter spinning backward), it should be all I need. If I got a $10 electric bill because I used my A/C all month long, I wouldn't cry, either.

Jay Leno has 8 steam powered cars. Wow! 8)

Jon

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
nice idea. I got lucky and my duece came with a new hood and new rubber dampeners. They did use some glue as well. I removed them when I painted the hood and put them back using some good doublesided 3M tape and the original hardware which resembles those brass paper clip that has a snake tongue you spread apart. Mine look like 1/4" strips of rubber. I like the bungie look much better.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks