• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hood wont open, anyone had this happen?

jake1086

I have an m1008 I bought for the axles, but I have since decided to use the frame and axles for an m715 body swap. Before you yell at me, the body on the m1008 is SHOT interior is completely stripped, box and cab are completely dented up and have bolt holes in them. The m715 body was aquired with no frame from a guy who used the frame and axles way back in the day for a mud truck.

Anyways, So I've always wanted a hot rod m715, this seems like a good place to start without ruining any good examples. I want to see if I can get the m1008 running or not, But I cant get the **** hood open, hood is in good shape so was going to try and save it. The hood release seems to be stuck in the cab.

Has anyone else had the cable pull get stuck?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an m1008 I bought for the axles, but I have since decided to use the frame and axles for an m715 body swap. Before you yell at me, the body on the m1008 is SHOT interior is completely stripped, box and cab are completely dented up and have bolt holes in them. The m715 body was aquired with no frame from a guy who used the frame and axles way back in the day for a mud truck.

Anyways, So I've always wanted a hot rod m715, this seems like a good place to start without ruining any good examples. I want to see if I can get the m1008 running or not, But I cant get the **** hood open, hood is in good shape so was going to try and save it. The hood release seems to be stuck in the cab.

Has anyone else had the cable pull get stuck?
Go through the grill with a screwdriver to the latch to release it . It was a common square body problem , sometimes just having someone hit the hood by the latch while pulling the cable will get them to release.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just bang on hood above the latch with my fist after pulling cable.
The latch is dry and friction is holding it down.
Just a Firm smack and not trying to break my hand.

When mine does this, it’s time to relube the latch.
Then no issues until dust, etc dries it out again.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I mounted a 1/4" round shim/spacer on the radiator support cover wear the hood spring makes contact. It tightens the hood spring when closed and it pops up allot easier now.

cucvrus

Grease is key. Spray lubes are not worth the effort and oil seems to run down and away. Also the hinges and springs like a good amount of oil. If you ever get the hood off remove the cowl screen oil and grease the cowl mounted hinges. If you do it once they will be lubed for 30 more years. And while in there remove the wiper transmission linkage and oil and grease that. Your nerves will thank you for it. But use the 30 wt oil and real grease. The squirt oil can is a CUCV's best friend. Every moving part likes grease and oil. NO spray lubes.

nyoffroad

Grease is key. Spray lubes are not worth the effort and oil seems to run down and away. Also the hinges and springs like a good amount of oil. If you ever get the hood off remove the cowl screen oil and grease the cowl mounted hinges. If you do it once they will be lubed for 30 more years. And while in there remove the wiper transmission linkage and oil and grease that. Your nerves will thank you for it. But use the 30 wt oil and real grease. The squirt oil can is a CUCV's best friend. Every moving part likes grease and oil. NO spray lubes.
My son used to laugh and make fun of my real oil cans, you know the kind with a spout and trigger pump or flex bottom until he learned some things work better with real oil instead WD40 crap.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I just bang on hood above the latch with my fist after pulling cable.
The latch is dry and friction is holding it down.
Just a Firm smack and not trying to break my hand.
Likewise, also thought I had a problem where this didn't work but it turned out my son was pulling the parking brake release!

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Grease there would be great but I drive on dirt roads and pastures a lot and encounter lots of dust.
The spray lube works good and doesn’t collect the dirt like grease would.
If it was greased, I would end up with a clod of dirt and lots of extra wear.

When I wash the engine, I clean the hood latch also.