• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hooking up batteries on 85 M1009

williedawg

I have 1985 M1009 with a 24v system. I had to replace both alternators and am having an issue hooking up my batteries. I have seen all the drawing and schematics, I need a red neck down and dirty back positive goes to..... Back negative goes to.... That type of lay out. Thank you.

cucvrus

Put your batteries in the tray as follows. The rear battery gets set with positive battery post facing the rear of the truck/firewall. Set the front battery in the front tray with the negative battery post towards the outside fender of the truck up front right corner. Now hook up the rear 24V cable onto the rear + post and secure it in place. Move forward and hook up the rear battery negative post and secure it in place. Move to the front battery and hook up/attach the front positive to the battery cable that has the 2 lug ends/legs to the front body positive post of the battery. Now hook up the front battery negative cable lug to the front battery negative post. You should make sure you have good fully charged load tested batteries before you do any of this. But I hope that helps you out. Make sure you have good cable clamps. No Bolt on over tightened chewed up worn out ends on the cables. Good Luck. Report back if you have any issues or need further assistance.

williedawg

I left one important piece of info out, sorry. I had to redneck rig my batteries. I only have 1 battery tray right now, the rear one, the front battery tray mounts rusted and I removed it as it was poking through the wheel well.. I have a picture of how they were hooked up before I took them out, but when I hooked them up just now, I smoked the bus bar. Hopefully didn't destroy anything. I was going for a smaller post, probably should have put that in there.

There is a long red wire with 2 diff connections, a short red wire with 1 connection, and a long black wire with one connection. Hope that helps. Again, Didn't mean to leave out pertinent info.

cucvrus

Either way. The short red cable at the firewall 24 volt buss bar goes to the rear + on the rear battery. The double legged cable with the red wire goes to the rear battery negative. End with no wire. The end that has the red 10 Gauge wire goes to the front battery on the positive side. Positive front to negative back. The black cable with the 10 gauge black wire is the front ground. You should be able to set both batteries on the rear mount temporarily. I would not recommend it but I do not know your situation. I would not off road or drive very far like this. Use a ratchet strap and secure the batteries fast to the outer fender and get that issue corrected ASAP. Good luck. You may have burnt a few fusible links under the buss bar and the link in the red 10 gauge wire running across to the 12 volt power point. Check it out a report back. I will assist if needed.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks