• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hooks Recovery Today.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Good luck! Take pics.............................................

dabtl

Returned last evening. Got to GL around 1:15 pm. Great folks at Hooks. Put water into the batteries. Got a battery jump from the crew on site, warmed it up, put it into gear thinking this is one heck of a way to find out if it has a transmission, observed a diesel leak under the engine, put it into gear and drove off. We did not check the oil, fuel level, coolant or tire pressure. Drove it to Paris, TX, put in twenty gallons to make sure there was enough fuel as the fuel gauge did not work it appeared, watched the diesel leak more closely and arrived in Bonham around 5: pm. I drove mostly at around 45 to 50 the entire trip, never cut the motor off until parked.

Nothing to it.

View from the cab on the road to Clarksville.

Front view, missing the right headlight and air filter can only:

From the side;

Somemedic

NICE!!! Paint looks good, and rolling the dice by not checkin the oil? No guts no glory... Think I would have wussed out and at least seen if it touched the bottom of the dipstick

dabtl

It looks like new rubber on the front windows, a new fuel tank sending unit, a new front headlight and service is all it will need, other than fixing the fuel leak.

It will spend the next years as a farm truck, parade vehicle.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Good catch I am sure you will love your duece and find it to be one vehicle you just have to go work on or at least sit in often. My son's will be driving my M109 and M 1031 about the same distance but I have already sent them a list of pre-trip items to inspect on both vehicles.

Boy your photos make me miss Texas

dabtl

I really cannot think of a better farm truck. The dropside will allow loading from virtually any angle. And, Bonham has a type of gumbo mud that will rapidly stop anything not four wheel drive and many of those. My wife is just glad it will not be in the driveway with the other two.

saddamsnightmare

September 12th, 2008.

Dear DABTL:

Nice truck, brave man.... did you take your cues on poker from "The Sting'? I think I would have at least checked the crankcase oil level before starting and frequently.... Often its the rear main seal, on my truck it's that and was the lube oil filter gaskets and air compressor rear crankcase cover gaskets.... She still leaks from the rear main, about 1 qt per 1000 miles.... not worth pulling the engine to change that alone. You may have passed my 686A tan "Saddam's Nightmare" in Paris, it lives at the Sam Bell Maxey House SHS on Church Street from Wensday to Sunday.... and her sister the Swiss Army Unimog will be grinding back from Dallas after repairs Monday or Tuesday at 35/40/45 MPH.......
Stop over sometime.... the tour's worthy, and on Armed Forces Day in May we get the Red River Valley MVPA to bring their WWII/Korean/Vietnam and Desert Storm Stuff over to display and honor the Vets......

Thumbs Up, Big Kahuna.....You definitely Pack!!!

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan

wsucougarx

Wow, didn't check the fluids? I would have had a stomach ulcer by the time I got home just wondering. I'm glad everything went well for you. Nice truck, good lookin' paint. Now the fun begins.