• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hope to get this trailer, what should I inspect?

scubadds

I have been lurking and took the plunge to join the fold....
I hope to pick this trailer up Friday.

I am just getting brushed up on the models and have received conflicting opinions...I believe it to be a M101, but not sure of much else.
Tag is not visible when I stopped on the side of the road, as it was painted over

I planned to clean it up and repaint and use for an family fun trailer for camping gear, bikes, etc
Thanks for any advice on the front end....
I thought about going with a lighter axle, with electric brakes

Attachments

Last edited:

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Welcome to the site.
That's an m101a1, likely built between 1962 and 1968. They are great trailers to tow, an axle swap with electric brakes would make it even better.
Just make sure the frame, hitch, and springs are in good shape, if you tow it home check the bearings to make sure they're not getting hot.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
If it's solid then it's a lot better choice than most other $700 trailers out there. If I were in the market for one I wouldn't feel too bad about paying $700 for a local one, I'm sure someone will say that's too much though. Around here it's usually a 100 mile minimum drive to buy surplus.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with Evil Dr, Porkchop. It appears to be a sound trailer, little rust. The smaller ones like this, as opposed to the M105 1 1/2 ton heavier model used behind the deuce and 5 ton, go for more than the M105's. If it looks good to you, I think the price is not too far out given you do not have a road trip at today's fuel prices to get it. It would be even sweeter if the guy has a title for it! It is no problem to title them in Indiana so hopefully that is true in your state. Here they want pictures of it for their files, then they give you a VIN to attach permanently to it with your title and you are good to go. I stamp the VIN on a piece of stainless sheet metal and pop rivet or with screws or bolts attach it to the tongue.
Regards Martin

scubadds

thanks
Yes NC makes us get an inspection and a bond. Its a pain, but not to bad.
I thought about a 416, but it seems to small for my needs. I guess I can sort out the axle conversion; thinking I will go 5x150 bolt pattern to fit our landcruisers

CGarbee

thanks
Yes NC makes us get an inspection and a bond. Its a pain, but not to bad.
I thought about a 416, but it seems to small for my needs. I guess I can sort out the axle conversion; thinking I will go 5x150 bolt pattern to fit our landcruisers
You could also title it as a homebuilt...
Get the form from DMV, fill it out (dimensions of the trailer), stamp the VIN on the form on the axle and on the frame near the hitch, and then have a LEO verify the measurements and that you stamped the VIN on.
Much easier and less expensive than a bond, as long as you know a LEO who will sign the form.

Otherwise, you need a title to transfer or do the bond process...

Let me know if you get it and swap the axles as I am interested in the original axle assembly with wheels.
I have bows and other assorted parts if you need them.

Good luck!

Last edited:

scubadds

You could also title it as a homebuilt...
Get the form from DMV, fill it out (dimensions of the trailer), stamp the VIN on the form on the axle and on the frame near the hitch, and then have a LEO verify the measurements and that you stamped the VIN on.
Much easier and less expensive than a bond, as long as you know a LEO who will sign the form.

Otherwise, you need a title to transfer or do the bond process...

Let me know if you get it and swap the axles as I am interested in the original axle assembly with wheels.
I have bows and other assorted parts if you need them.

Good luck!
shoot me your contact info...not sure what I will need, and I can chat about the axle

AZK9

... I planned to clean it up and repaint and use for an family fun trailer for camping gear, bikes, etc ...
They are good solidly designed trailers. Over the past year, or so I've seen them widely range in price from $200 to $1800 depending on condition.
If the one you are viewing is in good solid shape, the asking price might not be too bad. I recently met a guy selling one (at his yard sale) because
his family was moving away from the area and he just needed it gone! It was in extremely nice condition with everything working, plus nice bows
and tarp. His sign said $400. As I was leaving the yard sale, his wife begged me to take it for $300! I did not have the cash, or vehicle to pull it
home ( trailer was about 75 miles away from where I'm staying) so I had to leave without it.

She had given me her phone number to call if I changed my mind.
I called the next day... it had been sold for $200!! aua I really blew that one! Sheeeesh!

Good luck with whatever you decide! [thumbzup]

DeadParrot

I can tell you from experience that 1 gallon of Rustoleum paint will do two coats to a 101A1 if you roll it on. In case you don't know, the stock rims are two part rims and will likely need to go to a truck tire shop for service. If you buy it, be sure to download the TM and search this forum before disassembling stuff.

two.fiveM35

I have a M101a1 and I love it and it's the right side to put behind my 4Runner or 3/4 ton truck. I wouldn't go with electric brakes, the trailer isn't heavy enough and you'd probably lock up the wheel often.

Last edited:

scubadds

thanks
I got the trailer and really like it. Tows great
I either need a spare or swap axle to Toyota 5x150 (land cruiser)
The only way I can find is to buy front hubs from a 2wd Tacoma and bolt to an axle made to width and bolt pattern