• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Horn Solenoid Question

mdemars03

I have no working horn. I have already put a meter to everything and have power (22 to 24 volts) at connector 26 (according to wiring schematic on the -4 that is the hot wire). When checking resistance I have good ground. My question at this point is this... Is there a way to open up the horn solenoid to clean and possibly rebuild it to see if that will fix my problem or should I be looking at something else such as another connection or just replacing the solenoid to fix my problem. Trying to get this fixed before I go on a trip a week from today.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So you're getting power to horn when horn button pushed.
Have you checked horn solenoid for continuity.
Have you checked horn ground
There is circuit breaker on this circuit.

mdemars03

I get power to the solenoid. When I disconnect the lead going to the horn button and connect a tester (no air pressure at this point) I get a full 24 volts. When I start the truck and build air pressure.and press the horn button on the steering column I get no horn even with full 120 psi in the air system.

mdemars03

Doing more troubleshooting I have come to the conclusion that I have either a bad solenoid or a bad horn switch. All the wires check good with a meter. I guess I will just get online and order a new solenoid and switch.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Run a wire from pos side 24 to horn and see if it works when you connect it to one side of solenoid

mdemars03

I will give that a try first thing tomorrow. It's dark already and I have poor lighting. Plus I'm at work and have stuff to get done. Don't you just hate how jobs get in the way of fun. Lol

FFRCobra

So you have 24 volts on wire 26, right? Wire 25 goes to ground when you push the horn button to activate the solenoid.

Just try grounding the solenoid connector that wire 25 would plug into and see what you get. If you hear the solenoid clunk grounding directly like this but not when using the horn button you have a button/switch problem. If no clunk at all you probably have a solenoid problem. When you unscrew it from the horns there is a silver slug that will go flying out along with the spring behind it. Be careful to capture both. You maybe able to blow some junk out of there to clear it up.

Are you getting air to the horns? If everything electrical checks out, do other accessories like wipers work (so you can eliminate a problem with the PPV)?

mdemars03

So no clunk on the solenoid so it has gone out on me and the horn button isn't showing a good ground. No big problem on either. I know what I need and will get it all on order. Thank you all for your input helping me narrow down what I need to look for.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks