• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Horn trouble

69DeuceJuice

The solenoid on my horn isn’t stuck closed it operates properly but as soon as you touch the wires together to connect the horn to power it clicks the solenoid even without pressing the horn button. How does this circuit work is it always hot and the horn button closes the ground or is it the other way around? Is it common that the horn button will make this issue occur and taking it apart and cleaning it is the solution?

69DeuceJuice

Or an exposed wire inside the steering column closes the ground. Trace the wire from the horn all the way to the steering column and make sure there are no faults there. Next step is to replace the wire inside the steering column.
I believe this is my problem because when I pulled the horn button itself out the wire was pulled down inside the steering column and I had to pull it up and even then the connector only came out of the column about an inch before it got tight. I put everything back together and the horn worked fine. When I went to drive off though and turned my steering wheel a couple times the horn suddenly went off and when I turned my wheel back it cut off so it’s grounding itself inside the steering column i think. Problem is I’m new to these trucks and have no clue where that wire come out of the steering column. How does the wire inside the steering column not get twisted up, is there some sort of brushed ring connection that allows it to spin without linking the wire? Any photos or videos even links to YouTube videos would be very helpful. Thank you all

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wire comes out the bottom of the shaft on the front of the steering gear. The wire that goes up in the shaft has a seal on the bottom. Try to trace the wire from the horn across the engine compartment over to the bottom of the steering column and you will find it. The -24, -24&P manuals will have the parts and procedure for fixing it.

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Comes out of the front of the steering box behind the radiator. There is a little cone shaped rubber plug the wire passes thru there. It is simple design but not a great one. I believe the wire just twists a bit inside the column as you turn the wheel. But if installed with wheels straight ahead there is a limit to how much it has to twist in each direction.

Modiconman

There is a "slip ring" and "brush" that is on the steering shaft. That provides the connection up to the horn button. I had to replace all of those pieces on mine when it started doing the same thing. I had to pull the steering wheel and the steering shaft out to get to it all. Big mikes motor pool had all of the replacement parts. a bit of a PITA to do, but not difficult.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks