• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Horn won't stop

I finally fixed mine this weekend. Turns out the wire that connects to the wire coming out of the column had rubbed itself to the metal on a fuel line. so it took all of 10 mins to fix. Now I can finally let people know they shouldn't cut me off on the road.:driver:

roscoe

I think the wire grounding because of wear is probably the most likely problem. I'm going to look for that when I get some time. Airbornebandsman, did you replace the wire or just wrap it in electical tape?

3rdmdqm

Recently purchased 68 Kaiser M35A2. Horn did not work at all. Tried troubleshooting using TM's. While checking for voltage at solenoid per TM, observed one of the wires was disconnected (1st clue). Plugged in and horn immediately went off pretty much making me deaf. Unplugged wire and horn shut off. Obviously this happened to some poor soldier who didn't want to mess with it and he simply unplugged it and left it at that. So my delemma is this.....Obviosly power is getting to the solenoid (I checked the lead unplugged and it was hot). I'm guessing as others have indicated that there is a worn wire somewhere grounding out completing the circuit rather than the solenoid being bad?

tm america

the wire going through the steering column is probably shorted mine did the same thing .unhook the wire at the front of the truck just infront of the steering box .if this stops it youll need to change the wire or horn button

3rdmdqm

Eureka! pulled horn button assembly off steering wheel yesterday and the wire inside was badly frayed and grounding out. Replaced wire, added new connectors with heat shrink crimp casings, reconnected ends and voilla, horn works great now! Had some 90w gear oil leak out of the bottom hole where the wire exits the steering column under the truck when I removed the rubber plug that holds the wire in place on bottom of steering box. Cracked open the fill nut on top of the steering box and it looks completely dry. TM says it takes 3 1/8 pints of 90w gear oil. Will be taking drain plug out to see if anything is left, will drain and refill. Replacing horn wire took all of about 30 minutes total, much easier than anticipated. Hopefully leak is not too bad, I do not look forward to taking steering box apart to replace seals/gaskets. I have heard horror stories about this.

saddamsnightmare

March 29th, 2010.

Airbornebandsman:

It's probably already been said.....! You can get a new horn button kit that includes the wire from our usual network of parts dealers or on EBAY. Given the age of most of these trucks, most of the harness is likely gonna go in the next few years just due to age and the fact that most sat out in the weather for most of their lives.....Plan on a new harness before your kid inherits the truck.

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:driver:

roscoe

I've procrastinated on this same project now for months. I'll have to look into the new horn kits and replace the whole thing while I'm at it. I don't really miss having a horn much is part of the problem. I don't think I've used a horn on any car in traffic for years.

saddamsnightmare

MArch 30th, 2010.

Roscoe:

Obviously car drivers in Indiana are much more polite and intellectual then car drivers in North East Texas!!!! I have to use the air horns frequently to prevent texrons from pulling out at point blank range in front of a rolling deuce they think they can outrun.... OR they cut into my braking space at stop lights figuring I left that hole just for them, meanwhile I have to get all over the brakes and gears to get stopped before I eat them up!!!
Unfortunately, I must disagree with most of the posters, or my truck has different air horns, because the deuce horn is much too mellow and soft to be taken seriously by car drivers, it should be more like a supertyphon used on locomotives to scare the #### outta them. The Unimog has the same problem, its electric horn sounds like a 1970's Honda Civic... Beep! Beep! (like the Road Runner in Wylie Coyote cartoons.....). It must be some European regulation that you can't have a truck horn that sounds like its packing a pair!!!
aua

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:)

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine just started going off only on left turns and only when starting off. Never goes off when truckin down the road and making turns...

Well, at least now I have a place to start looking. Tore the cab apart looking for the end of the wire and never thought to look at the of the steering box. Ive been off for a week and no access to a pooter to look through the TMs :?

Thanks for the info guys!