• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Horse power problems

deess

Hey guys, thanks for all the response so far. Let me give you the complete scenario. All the filters have been changed and no trash was found. The truck has always been sluggish going down the road--compared to my other one, but just recently has been slow to start--10 to 15 seconds of cranking before it will bust off. I would like to know what the pressure/flow shoud be coming from a) the in tank pump, b) the lift pump located within the IP, and c) how often or common injector failures are with this engine. The motor runs very quiet and smooth mechanically. I am getting a slight puffing or sucking back sound coming from the exhaust. I understand that I may have a valve issue but I would really like to eliminate my fuel system completely first before I go down that road. Does anyone have a complete fuel system diagram? Again, thanks for any advice.

deess

would really like to find a fuel system diagram to be sure the lines are all in the correct order and place

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For one thing, put diesel fuel in it and see if the problem goes away. I would say you need a healthy percent of diesel with that hydraulic fluid to get it to fog properly out of the injectors, which improper fogging will cause hard starting and definitely the white smoke. I would hate to see the tips on the injectors. Probably all sorts of black residue on them from the hydraulic oil. In my estimation, not a good thing to run it in too high a concentration. You also may have heavy carbon deposits on the exhaust valves from the unburned hydraulic fluid, shutting off exhaust air flow. I have dug carbon deposit coatings up to 1/4" thick out of the exhaust ports on engines that were running with too much unburned fuel for too long. Is it black stacking (oil coming up out of the exhaust stack and/or connections)? That is a good sign of a bad unburned fuel problem. If you are certain none of this is an issue, have you turned up the fuel screw to get more power? We have done that to all of our trucks, and it helps starting.
Regards Marti

KenzMan

A poofing sound tells me there is at least one cylinder that isn't working as well as the rest , whether it be valves , injectors or compression . iI would agree on trying some diesel in there as well .

KenzMan

Again I am not familiar with these multifuels , but running all kinds of different fuels , can the valves get bad for sticking ?

deess

i realize what you are saying but,i drove it home from sanantonio on straight pump diesel.it ran the same. no i have not turned the pump up yet, was wanting to get this problem solved first.is it possible to remove the injectors and clean them ?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it is chuffing out the exhaust or popping in the intake, i'd do a valve set first. The truck runs, so the lines are all where they belong. You should have around 7 PSI out of the low pressure pump and 70 or so at the filters behind the pump. Also, make sure it's getting full throttle. Does the overhead sound like a smith corona typewriter?

deess

adjusted the valves no change.in tank pump not working and truck is real sluggish at the petal,has to work its way up onthe tach takes a while to climb to 2500 rpm.could the injection pump be out of time? could the injectors be bad?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Crosby? I'm just on the other side of the river from you in sheldon. Take a heat gun and aim it at the exaust manafold. Check each cylinder and see if any one is running cooler than the others. This will tell you witch if any cylinder is mis firing. White smoke is unburt fuel. Is it smoking after you get it hot? They tend to smoke a bit if they idle too long or don't make it to temp. It you have a cool running cylinder you may have a bad/ stuck injector plunger. I agree with adding diesel to your mix. Your probally not getting a complete burn. It the intank pump isn't working pull the cover off the top and check the little fuse. They usaly blow then the pump has too much load. If you have to remove the pump you'll have to pull the tank on a 109. It won't clear the bottom of the body. Holler if you need some help.

leatherneck

horsepower problems

I have been helping with this diagnosis and once we set the valves and were watching it warm up, we noticed a small amount of air/oil being blown out around the head gasket on the front of the engine. Looks like the head gasket is either blown/leaking around the front cylinder. I feel like the compression ring is probably blown between the first two cylinders...causing it to miss and suck back in when running. Note...the truck is not getting water in the oil or oil in the water, and no comprssion in the cooling system. Has anyone ever run across this? I have never seen an engine run this good(with only nominal power loss) with a leaking head gasket. Any suggestions or tips specific to this vehicle on changing the head gasket would be greatly appreciated. Semper Fi

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the head gaskets are the old style, that is a normal mode of failure. Most of the time you'll see no coolant in the oil or vise versa. Sounds like it's time to do them!

deess

update in tank pump working,but weak at secondary filters.will try to tighten head bolts tommorrow.does anyone know where to get a headgasket set for this truck?i found the whole rebuild kit but cant afford that,so i was hoping a head gasket kit would be cheaper..thanks in advance Shane

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks