• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

horsepower problems

deess

i have a 109a3 i have made a rv out of. took her for the maiden voyage for thanksgiving.i went from houston to alto texas about 150 miles.was a blast, anyway,my truck misses a little , sounds like its popping or pufing when idling.its hard to start kind of has to work its way up to starting ,takes as long as 10 seconds with full throttle.once it works whatever is wrong out you can let off the full throttle and it kind of catches up with itself.it does an atounding 48 mph on flat ground after about ten minutes and maybe 50 or 52 downhills but drops as low as25 to 35 mph up hills.real nervous feeling when an 18 wheeler flies up on you as you break the top of a hill! i have been advised its the injectors.do you pull them and have them rebuilt or pull them and maybe clean them? any ideas would be great.i would like to get it running good then maybe turn up the fuel.i realize its heavier than my troop carrier truck but i figure it should maintain 50mph not dip in the 20 and 30 mph range on the freeway.

Attachments

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Here's a simple test to see if the lift pump is working. start the truck turn off the accessory switch if the truck stops running lift pump dead. If not the pump is fine. Now it gets more complicated from here you could have injector that is working but not delivering the full shot of fuel perhaps it is clogged with something. What you need to do is pull the injectors and run the IP into a measuring cup. You'll need to find out how many CC's or oz's of fuel the engine is supposed to be delivering at say 1500 rpm if clogged or damaged the fuel will be reduced by x percent for a given rpm and it is a ratio between the full charge and the minimum amount that will tell exactly how much you're off at his point but who cares. All you need to do is find out which one is not giving you the proper amount of fuel. If they are all doing it I would suspect the IP is the culpriit. In short the best thing to do is take it to a diesel mechanic he'll pull the pump and injectors and pressure check them for this and see what is really going on in the engine.

THEROAD

Since we can guess at the problem I guess you have a small air leak. I know in boats you can get leaks that let air into the fuel lines before the injector pump. Make sure your filters and gaskets are tight and working. Sounds like air with the hard starting. Or it could be low compression. Anyway I am just guessing.:roll:

deess

sorry to sound like a complete idiot the term intake fuel pupmp threw me off in my question i left out the word intake. thanks for the diagram it how would you sayUNCONFUSED me .:-D

deess

picked up the truck in august in sanantonio filled it with diesel and it ran the same as it does now.changed the 2 canister filtersnot sure where the third one is.no chage after changing those two filters . is ip injector pump? how can i tell if its the injector pump or injectors? what does wot mean?i will try turning off the switch to see if it quits running tommorrow.thanks again for the help

littlebob

picked up the truck in august in sanantonio filled it with diesel and it ran the same as it does now.changed the 2 canister filtersnot sure where the third one is.no chage after changing those two filters . is ip injector pump? how can i tell if its the injector pump or injectors? what does wot mean?i will try turning off the switch to see if it quits running tommorrow.thanks again for the help

The third filter (primary) is located near the or on the frame rail on the right front. Also check for water in the tank and all filter canisters, I let mine sit for a year and had a lot of moisture in all(1/3 tank of fuel)

Attachments

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check that Primary fuel filter. Thats the "first line of defense" for fuel/rust/dirt coming out of the tank and into the secondary filters then to the IP.. Might be tons of water and crap in there... And that will only cost you a filter and a few minutes.... And might be the problem. Follow the fuel line from the tank to it, or from the secondary filters back to the primary filter. Look by the passenger side, front frame rail. Kinda below the generator.

SasquatchSanta

Be VERY careful removing injectors. Someone suggested testing them. To do this requires a test stand --- not a measuring cup. Injectors operate at a pressure that will blow fuel clear through your hand. They can cause grave medical problems.

KenzMan

I'd say either low compression or bad injectors , most likely bad injector(s) . I would remove them and send them away to have checked/serviced . A poor spray will cause a hard start and take power out of your engine . You more than like have one worse than the rest too that would be giving you the odd poofing on idle . I never worked on one of these but if it has a primary pump in the tank I wouldn't think a leaky line/fitting would be the problem as fuel would be forced out instead air being sucked in .

Good Luck