• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Horsepower

AH64-longbow

I was fully loaded coming down a mountain north of Atlanta Georgia pulling a non-fuctional backhoe, and a LOT of cargo. Put it down to low range in first gear. The truck would basically brake itself. I rarely had to touch the actual brakes. I included a video of me going up an 18-20% grade at full throttle in first gear. Large amount of tire slip. It took a truck this big to get this stuff off the mountain. Now I know why it stayed up there until I picked it up!

Thank you for your reply, I understand the hearing ratio and I understand numbers, I flew the AH-64 Longbow for some time with the 101st Airborne; I am in Papua New Guinea, and the dirt/ gravel roads I drive on are not secondary roads but the main road between point A to point B; After 16 hrs in the vehicle and mountain altitudes reaching 10,000 ft, grades 20 all the way to 30% grade it’s very taxing on both vehicle and driver.
Enjoyed your video. I will in future try to uplaod some videos of some road conditions I encounter. Thank you again,
Peter

AH64-longbow

G’day from PNG,
I have developed a mechanical issue, noise, that I have identified as some sort of gearing/ rotation (almost a grinding noise).
The following diagnostic work has been carried out (by myself with a workshop manager) all diffs checked for correct oil level and quality of oil- (all good) Eng. is good, oils coolant, no leaks, eng is fresh. Transmission was a little low, and at mileage (manual - recommendation for change) só I drained- refilled with new. Transfer case I drained and refilled (new).
Operation road tests- at different speed up to but not exceeding 55 mph, transmission shifts smooth no issues.
Transmission temp within allowance, all temp (gauges) read normal.
No mechanical warning or signs - loud noise (metal- grinding- or rotation sound) excessive. Come to complete stop noise stops. Continue slowly- no noise nothing - normal. Mostly downgrade signals the noise. Any suggestions or ideas ? Truck is M928A2 has only done less than two thousand since bought from a seller US side last year.
Cheers,

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Engine brakes wouldnt work off road with the truck idling. Im not sure if a retarder would work in this scenario.
Yea with an automatic trans. coming down a hill we just lower the gears till we find one that keeps the RPM up to the point where the Jake brake works.

Lukes_deuce

Yea with an automatic trans. coming down a hill we just lower the gears till we find one that keeps the RPM up to the point where the Jake brake works.
That works on the highway, I was referring back to OP about more ways to slow down going down a hill while off roading. Sometimes I wish I have a lower gear than 1st to help with going down hills. Sometimes you need to literally crawl down a hill at 1 to 2 mph

AH64-longbow

That works on the highway, I was referring back to OP about more ways to slow down going down a hill while off roading. Sometimes I wish I have a lower gear than 1st to help with going down hills. Sometimes you need to literally crawl down a hill at 1 to 2 mph
All these recommendations are great and I am not a person to down trod another’s answer, way, suggestion etc.... BUT I live in PNG and the roads here are mountainous up to 10,00 ft; it takes me on a good day without a load 16 hrs to do 200 miles, with a load, it can take me two days, it’s not logical to engage a trip thinking you will drive 5mph or less!!! The engineers could have made these vehicles with factory engine brakes (Jake brakes), and they could have increased the power but didn’t! Did I buy the wrong truck? That’s questionable, can other trucks do what the 928A2 does here? Yes and no! So it’s a ( I can, I can’t, or he said she said. Every case is slightly different!
keep the thoughts coming! thank you all for your input

AH64-longbow

Does Anyone, have any experience in fitting fuel injectors (350 hp) in the 900 series (M928A2) mine) . I have spoken to a chap who recommended fitting 350 hour fuel injectors to help with power.
I have posted some questions/ comments etc. Am in Papua New Guinea, since my last few posts I have made several trips (in the Highlands) first loaf I was laden with almost ten ton, slow going but no issues with the mountains (8,9,& 10,000 ft) second load eight ton, one problem going one direction, some curves are horse-show bend, I have to stop reverse and carry on. The eng just had enough muscle to slowly pull (was in low ratio) first gear, mind you elevation is 8000 ft. I flew the AH64 Longbow so I know what that does to an engine.
Any suggestions?

charlesmann

G’day from PNG,
I have developed a mechanical issue, noise, that I have identified as some sort of gearing/ rotation (almost a grinding noise).
The following diagnostic work has been carried out (by myself with a workshop manager) all diffs checked for correct oil level and quality of oil- (all good) Eng. is good, oils coolant, no leaks, eng is fresh. Transmission was a little low, and at mileage (manual - recommendation for change) só I drained- refilled with new. Transfer case I drained and refilled (new).
Operation road tests- at different speed up to but not exceeding 55 mph, transmission shifts smooth no issues.
Transmission temp within allowance, all temp (gauges) read normal.
No mechanical warning or signs - loud noise (metal- grinding- or rotation sound) excessive. Come to complete stop noise stops. Continue slowly- no noise nothing - normal. Mostly downgrade signals the noise. Any suggestions or ideas ? Truck is M928A2 has only done less than two thousand since bought from a seller US side last year.
Cheers,
Did you find out what the grinding noise was?

Since fluids and levels were good. Could it be the final drive at the hubs?

AH64-longbow

Did you find out what the grinding noise was?

Since fluids and levels were good. Could it be the final drive at the hubs?
Yes and no, meaning I have had the vehicle up on the racks trying to duplicate the noise. Running through all gears (H/L ratio) reverse, nothing on the racks no matter what speed. All fluids have been changed out (though mileage did not demand) . Road test nois would return, pinned it down to either transfer case or transmission (bearing) I have made several trips, rough driving, heavy loads, (gravel/ dirt roads) high altitude Mt’s and seems to worsen when driving sealed roads. Transmission temp (normal) all gauges normal ops. I have ordered a rebuilt transmission and transfer case. Prop- shafts all good, eng mounts, vibrating damper in place, rubber bushing supports for gearboxes all good tight. Whee bearings tight no leaks, I removed front prop shaft to isolate the noise definitely in the gearboxes.
Cheers

AH64-longbow

I have a question for my vehicle (M928A2) does anyone have knowledge or experience fitting Eng. brake on these engines? I know the gearing, and even with 12 ton loaded, 10,300 ft mountains with 37% grades it pushes the Eng rpms to the red line without the foot peddle brakes, with the braking system it will hold, however, the brakes get very hot, this can lead to other problems ( any suggestions) thank you!!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I have a question for my vehicle (M928A2) does anyone have knowledge or experience fitting Eng. brake on these engines? I know the gearing, and even with 12 ton loaded, 10,300 ft mountains with 37% grades it pushes the Eng rpms to the red line without the foot peddle brakes, with the braking system it will hold, however, the brakes get very hot, this can lead to other problems ( any suggestions) thank you!!
There is no jake brake available for the 6Cta engine.

You can add an exhaust brake. That's about it.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pacbrake is probably the most common exhaust brake, a lot of info on them in the rv forums. I believe you will need heavier valve springs as well, which I was planning on going to one of these day if I turn my governed RPM up quite a bit.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Red Barn does a lot of 5-Ton parts for the "Monster Truck" community. There was a recent article about adding multiple Pinion Brakes and using a proportioning valve to control the amount of pressure applied to each caliper.

5-TON  Pinion Brake OVRT.png

I drove a 1996 Internarial school bus last week with a DT466 and a automatic transmission last week for a river rafting company in the mountains around Durango Colorado and it had a ( KLAM retarder ) I was amazed at how this drive line retarder would slow this bus down it was almost to much I never used the brakes .

It is some thing I will be looking for at salvage to add to my 5 ton

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would think exhaust brake would work well enough without locking the converter, especially if he’s running low range.

With our weight and gear ratios I don’t think a pinion brake would last more than one application, unless you ran a half dozen or so to keep the pressure down on them. I’m betting the disk will go up in flames faster than a monster trucks during a race.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks