• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hot Start

Earth

It was 34 this morning so I guess it's time to think about hard starting diesels.

I start the John Deere 540B log skidder with a home made "hot start" machine, which is a 91 F150 with quick connects on the heater core lines. I have 2 10 foot heater lines with quick connects, and you just unhook the heater lines on the truck, connect the precharged lengths of hose, and hook them up to the skidder (the skidders have a coolant hose running from the top of the block to the bottom--its just there for hot starting, and is connected in the middle by quick connects--you split this hose and hook it to the long lines coming from the truck). So what you have is hot fluid running through the skidder block instead of through the truck heater core. Works like magic. Napa sells a "hot start" machine, but most guys around here just use an old truck.

My question is, has anyone tried this on the mutifuel block? It looks like I can use the heater lines on the deuce--just a set of connectors on the in and out. If I hook up the Ford to these I can send hot fluid in and out of the block on the Deuce. Any known problems or concerns with doing this?

Thank You

God I love these trucks!

Carl_in_NH

I'm watching this one with interest, Tom.

+34F this morning? Gee, you must be a little higher up than I am at 900 feet - as it was only down to +48 this morning. Fall's a-coming. Glad I started splitting and stacking firewood back in May ;-)

jasonjc

The deuce starts easy in cold weather. It may even start better than the ford. You may need a diesels typ anit-freze in the pickup as well.

Keith_J

The deuce starts easy in cold weather. It may even start better than the ford. You may need a diesels typ anit-freze in the pickup as well.
It should be the same. Just don't use DexCool. (Death-Cool). All of the vehicles used the same thing when I was in the Army.

grizcty

I swear by a product called Power Service.
Also a good thing to have on hand is Power Service "First Aid"
Pour it directly in fuel filter if it freezes up solid.
Watch it melt the frozen diesel!
Temps have already dropped down to the 20's.:cry:
Were the heck did spring/summer go?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My question is, has anyone tried this on the mutifuel block? It looks like I can use the heater lines on the deuce--just a set of connectors on the in and out. If I hook up the Ford to these I can send hot fluid in and out of the block on the Deuce. Any known problems or concerns with doing this?

Thank You

God I love these trucks!
Using the heater lines won't circulate the coolant through the block. Use the same connection points as used with the fuel burning coolant heater (a built in hot start system), one connection just above the water pump and one at the low end of the block near the starter relay.

The high compression, hypercycle multifuel will start without any aids down to about 10°F, just make sure the batteries are healthy.

Earth

Thanks Cranetruck I'm checking out those connection points this morning.

On the weather in VT: Yes 34 degrees in early September. In the winter it spends a lot of time below zero here. Sometimes 30 below. Occasionally 40 below. The farm is at 1400 feet, 10 miles up from the Conn River Valley.

Some things start well when it's fairly cold; nothing starts when its way below zero. Besides, it's so much kinder to the machine if you give it some heat. We need to prepare anything we need in the winter for cold starting.

I'll get some pictures when I rig it up. WE are going to run 3 M35s all winter.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
........Besides, it's so much kinder to the machine if you give it some heat. We need to prepare anything we need in the winter for cold starting. ....
Agree 100%.
Also batteries like it cold for storage (minimal self discharge), but performs best at room temp, so a battery heating device is another good investment.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 8x8 battery box has insulation and a coolant heated pad....Ernie did show me some images of his insulated battery box, so yes, his is insulated.