• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hours/miles ratio in 5 tons

WA454

Just wondering what a typical hours/miles ratio is amongst 5 ton owners. I realize meters can be replaced, and wonder if there is any median as to the relationship of the two.
Thanks, Bill

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My rule of thumb is 30MPH for every hour on the hour meter. 1,200 hours = 36,000 miles

That holds on the Deuces and 800 series. I think the 900 series average more miles per hour.

Before anyone says I'm crazy I said MY and it's just a guesstimate and nothing more. Check the hours and odometers on truck listings and see what you come up with.

Flyingvan911

My deuce has 45,265 miles and 1,526 hours. LDS engine and 9.00x20 tires. I would think the larger tires on a 5 tons would allow for more slightly more miles for the same hours.

jedawson1

My M923A1 has approximately 25000 miles and 700 hours. Seems inline with what I see on GL about 30-35MPH avg. for 900 series cargo trucks. If its out of this norm them I begin to wonder if the engine was replaced, gauge replaced or something else. Other more experienced members could better speculate reasons for non match miles to hours on the gauges. Seems like the tractors also have higher mileage per hour which makes sense.

Scarecrow1

I don't pay much attention to either . When I got my 923 it had the tachometer and the speedometer crossed up . no telling how long it had been that way . Also how many times have you seen new gauges beside old or broken ones . Just saying the odds aren't good either way

jw4x4

When I bought my 932, it had 532 miles and 24.2 hrs on the meter. I haven't checked it lately. If I get to the warehouse tomorrow, I can update. I think there are about 1700 or so miles on it now. Not sure about hours.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I only look at the gauges to know when the next time I need to do PM. Oh and to know how fast I'm driving and how fast the engine is spinning. The numbers at the bottom mean nothing.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Our Deuce was DRMO'd to a Volunteer Fire Department in 1991 after a TOTAL rebuild at Toole, Utah. When they picked her up, she had 5 hrs & 30 miles on the gauges. Average usage: 6 miles per hour!!!

After she served 20 years with te VFD, we bought her with about 920 hrs and 10,200 miles on her. Subtracting the original readings, the VFD put 915 hrs and 10,170 miles on her. Average usage: 11.1 MPH over a 20 year period ! ! ! And averaged ONLY 45 hrs, 45 minutes PER YEAR ! ! !

Let's consider some contributing factors here:
1. She served as a Brushfire Truck, so only occasional use and much more idle time than road or off-road driving.
2. Schleicher County Texas is VERY rural, and about the size of the entire state of Rhode Island, so, when she was driven, the distances were often significant... a counter point to the idle-time factor.
3. In a single MAJOR EVENT, y'all may remember when the State of Texas raided the FLDS "religious" compound (it made the national news) and "rescued" hundreds of children from a cult bent on sexually abusing kids. This truck stood that duty for the entire duration of the RAID and the WEEKS following as the investigation and collection of evidence was conducted..... LOTS of idling time, though not run for the whole time!

jd 9760

Just got mine (M923) 16000 miles and 18hrs. showing. Diffenitly was rebuilt I am asumming both number are accurate. Guess I was think the miles were original and the hrs were since the rebuild of course there is no real way to know either. Hours don't bother me as much as miles do. The 855's in the 923's /A1's should be almost built proof at only 250hp. I have an 855 on the farm turbo'd running 400hp with 6000 hrs on it and going strong. If it's been sucking sand in the desert that may be a different story though but again how do you know? Well there's my input take it for what its worth.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Speedomenter and tachs are swapped out more often than most probably think. I knew of one truck that went well over 5K miles with a bad speedometer that didn't track a single mile. In desert storm we drove one from port to TAA Henry without a speedometer, any lights in the front, only one tail light, broken drivers side mirror, missing passenger side mirror and I'm sure a few other things going on. That's what use to happen when you left a vehicle unguarded. It made the trip though. Only vehicle we lost the whole time was a CUCV pickup that the (less than stellar) driver broke in half jumping a sand dune. Unfortunately the driver was OK and we couldn't find a valid reason to medivac no matter how hard we tried to convence them they weren't ok.
'

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 13113 miles and 428 hours, for an avg of 30.6 mph. Truck was never rebuilt, everything has a 3Q72 on it, with a build date of 1973.

eaw46

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Up here in the Great White North it is normal to see trucks Idle for hours and hours in the cold as if you shut them off you canot start them again. I could see trucks from the Northern States idle for much longer than the Southern ones. We were once on a winter exersize and I know of one truck that ran for 5 days without being shut off for more than 15 or 20 min at time for POL and checking fluid levels. I doubt if it went more than 200 miles in that time. Eddy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks