• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Houston Trip

Autocharge

Houston Trip
[FONT=Roboto, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I went down to Houston on Friday thinking my truck was fixed. On the way down the generator stopped working due to the water on the previous trip(Monday to Wednesday were I sucked up 5 gallons of water into my snorkel ). I spent the first part of Saturday at O'reilly removing the generator and trying to fix it. At the same time I was charging the batteries (4 of them) .[/FONT]I had some locals trying to help me but to no avail we were not able to fix the generator . in the parking lot of a Riley's this lady approached the truck and asked if I was a part of the National Guard. I said no ,she said that a truck like mine had rescued her family and she wanted to thank me and she actually started to Bow and get down and kiss my feet that's when I stopped her and just gave her a hug and told her it's ok. It's amazing how appreciative the people of Houston are for the help that they have received . I was forced to start heading back home, on the road back the truck broke down again this time it was a wiring problem. It had shorted out a wire. I jumperd around the wire, the truck started up and I made it back on what battery power I had left .[FONT=Roboto, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]As I left Houston I was disappointed I felt there was more that I could do down there I wanted to but with the truck problems it just wasn't meant to be .
[/FONT][FONT=Roboto, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Ok now a question for the people on this forum. I have a 5ton M925 83 to 84 model the best I can tell. I need a new alternator/generator. Part numbers and Ideas will be helpful.
Thanks in advance.
Autocharge
[/FONT]

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would not suggest a commercial non waterproof alternator if you still want deep water driving ability.

Autocharge

Ordered a alternator waiting for it to arrive today install on Sunday trying to go to Enterprise Alabama looking for support vehicles to Convoy with once in the staging area will deploy to Florida to support efforts with the hurricane Irwin

Autocharge

“After action report”

Natural staging area
The last big fuel station going into the disaster area. In this instance I-45 Buc-ee's Fueling station. This is where we ran into people coming out of and going into Houston people would transfer cases of water to my truck because I was going in and wish us luck . On my way out I transferred all the water I had to another group going in, cooperation at its best .

Stopping point
I-45 was closed and forced me to exit.
upon exiting I contacted local officer on patrol he gave me directions to official staging area where I encountered engine 77.
Engine 77 gave me my first assignment and address he showed me on his cell phone using Google Maps then sent me a text message with the link. I used Google Maps to guide me to my first address. The cell service was obviously still up and running after my first drop off I picked up a local volunteer used him as a navigator for the immediate neighborhood. We combed the residential neighborhood looking for people.

First night
I slept in the back of my truck. The first night it was not good, the helicopter flew over once an hour picking people up, rain was continuous.

Second day
I woke up early and had to leave the area, had to drive north of Houston about 30 minutes before I could find anything open. I needed supplies I was not prepared. after getting supplies I was contacted by a local Houston resident that wanted to go in and help. I used him as a navigator and together we managed to get back down into Houston. We had troubles because all of the roads and highways had flooded behind me on my way out. In Houston we started following the police Hummer all the way to the police station. There we signed up with North Houston police station and started taking orders.

Midday
Checked in with East Side Fire Marshal Where we sat until we got assignments from them. We got an assignment about 7:30 p.m. to go to an apartment building and ask people if they wanted to evacuate. Water was almost chest-high at this point and no one wanted to evacuate so we secured for the night. We stayed in the conference room at the Sheraton it was set up for volunteers. They gave us a room to shower and clean up in.

Third day
Eastside staging area was our first assignments same apartment building that we had been in the night before. We were to make our way through it to the water, in the process of doing so we found our first dead body. Our following assignments were in residential areas with high water rescue necessary. the address turned out to be false, no such address. we got three more assignments. Three more addresses, high water rescue, turned out the roads were dry by now and no persons at the addresses. Locals said the people had been rescued 2 days ago.
Noon
Had lunch no further assignments on the east side Fire Chief requested that we be transferred to the West Side I agreed and got in contact with the West Side Fire Chief via texting, Then proceeded to the staging area.

Westside assignments
We were to provide transport for police and fire personnel to a possible fire in an apartment building, in responding to this call we experience high water drove in three quarters of a mile to get to the gates of the apartment. The water was too high to continue, unloaded personnel and backed out of the high water and waited for personnel to return. After waiting approximately 20-25 minutes the truck had taken on water in the snorkel and the engine had stopped. Now I needed to be rescued, for about 30 minutes until I figured out how to bypass the intake on the diesel motor. After removing the boot on the intake the engine started and I was able to self recover. Drove out to dry land (safety). Waited on and returned Personnel to Westside staging area and checked out with Westside fire chief. Reason, truck not high water capable anymore ineffective.
Return home to repair the truck, after repairs return to Houston during the drive down the alternator broke. Truck is now broken again.
Saturday morning unable to fix the truck, forced to return home.
Started repairs again and prep for Florida.

Observations
People frustrated with 911 use social media to call for help. Results double or triple tickets. People rescued and not reported waste of rescue resources , but safe.

Solo
Solo volunteers are at risk of being victims themselves.

on paper
Group 1
1 high water vehicle with transport ability and Recovery capability
10 watercraft
20 local police.

Group 2
1 high water vehicle with transport ability and Recovery capabilities
6 watercraft
5 armed security personnel

Autocharge