• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How about a sticky for Noob questions?

Bowtie70SS

As a new member to this site I have found it very useful so far. The one BIG drawback of the forum is that the search feature here apparently is set on kill. I am a member of probably 10 different forums and this one by far is the hardest to find information on. I do a search for diagnose alternator and there is 15 pages. I check for other things and there are never less than 12 pages. I am great at searching the net and using google/images, etc to find stuff. Sorry, I love it here and plan to stay but if would be nice to have one sticky with things grouped so they can easily be found. It would also be nice if in the topic of the thread people would put "Alternator Testing" instead of Uh Oh sum ting wong or some other unrelated comment. I think a collection of the best threads on topics like replacing seals, harmonic balancer, clutch replacement, etc could be grouped in one spot. It would be great for the people who are nice enough to answer all of us noobs and keep the noobs from going crazy reading 100 irrelevant threads that never seem to have a resolution. Thanks for hearing me out.

steelandcanvas

All good points. If Folks would just title their threads like someone else may need to find them, life and searching on SS would be easier. I usually recommend all Noobs read at least the -10 for their respective vehicle, that would reduce the need to answer repetitive questions. All in all it's a great site, but don't get discouraged. PM one of the thread gurus if you need an answer, after you've read your -10, and tried a descent search. I especially enjoy researching and answering Deuce electrical wiring questions.

bigginstactical

Agreed but now with the new google search feature you really should be able to find it if its been a topic before. For the life of me I couldn't find anything before thy installed the new search box. Its great!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are good with Google then use it.

Try:

Google
site:steelsoldiers.com WHATEVER YOU ARE LOOKING FOR

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Or just use the search block in the top right corner of the page. That is google search already specifically for this site.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
May not be of any help - but I have better luck with the forum search by using only one, carefully chosen word in the search box. ... and when ever I post a new thread having found or solved a problem/tip, I try to use a title, as suggested, that makes sence for later.

Oh - and "welcome" noob!

Bowtie70SS

Is there a way to filter your search results where you can exclude the main body of the conversation and only search the titles. The only problem with that is that the title would require the relevant key words.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of the bonuses of reading a few threads to get your answer is you will learn something you weren't looking for that will come handy later . Just reading various threads about your truck before you need the information is a great thing to do .

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Is there a way to filter your search results where you can exclude the main body of the conversation and only search the titles. The only problem with that is that the title would require the relevant key words.
Sure. Use advanced search. Under the Search in Forum(s) section use ctrl and click all the forums you wish to search under.

TehTDK

I had luck using + to include words to the search and using - to exclude words I didn't want to seach for. Just like you do on Google.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks