• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How about alcohol? (and a gas tax question)

namedpipes

OK. First off, I like the search function suggesting threads based on the subject.

Will a multifuel engine run on straight ethanol (or a mix at least?)

Alcohol - make your own fuel? - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite answers that for the most part. It sounds as though if the alcohol is close to 200 proof it won't hurt to pour it in the tank up to 50/50.

Now I must see 10 Discovery Channel documentaries a year about green this and alternative that. The vehicles are usually "pretty" and boast in big signs that they run on alcohol or deep fry oil etc.

I already know it is illegal to use home fuel oil or marine diesel for road use, but what about these alternative fuels and the glitzy vehicles we see on tv?

In practical terms, what is the legal impact of using something like vege oil or wmo in a Deuce? Am I going to Jail?

Does the green recycling outweigh the tax question to the state police or do you have to keep a log of every gallon "made" and pay later?

In full disclosure I don't have a multifuel (yet) but plan to buy a deuce in the coming year.

ida34

Most states allow you to make and use a small portion of homemade fuel before they want tax collected. The fuel tax applies to any fuel you use in a vehicle used on public roads so it does not matter where it came from. Untaxed fuel is untaxed fuel and you can face criminal penalties and tax penalties. Chances of getting caught are low but if caught being green will not help your case one bit.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And the ethanol will most likely attack any rubber seal in the fuel system. Pumps can be expensive to repair and the replacement rubber parts are probably NOT rated for an ethanol based fuel, so the repaired pump will fail again.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Stay away from ethanol (and laquer thinner...ask me how I know) and other "dry" fuels.

The multi-fuel loves the heat generated by oil....veggie, waste motor old, hydrolic and transmission fluid.

You cannot make ethanol cheap enough to replace diesel or scrounged oil.

The only way you are going to get caught is if you rat yourself out with a big sign on the truck that says
"I run on free untaxed fuel" or if you get stopped by a (state or federal) DOT enforcement official and they "dip" your tank.
Unless you have off road fuel dye in there they are going to send you on your way.

My usual brew is 30% WVO, 30% WMO and 40% reg gas.....the deuce loves it.

I filter when I pick up my waste stuff, filter again when I mix them together and filter again when I fill the deuce tank. There are three filters on the deuce so I don't worry too much about anything getting to the IP.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks