• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How accurate is your fuel gauge?

Anubis8472

I usually fill mine up at 1/4 tank and it usually takes 14-16 gallons.

It may have something to do with tank size...

The m1009 specs as a 27 gallon tank.
The civy models came with 25 or 30 gallon.

So we may have a 25 gallon sending unit in a 27 gallon tank.
That would explain why the m1009 seems to have such a large 'reserve'.

I found out pretty quick when I thought my sender was bad that there is no sending unit for a 27 gallon.

rbeasley66

My temperature light would glow dim after driving the M1009 for awhile. I discovered the military had put a "gauge" sending unit in it instead of a "idiot" light sending unit. Put the right sending unit in it and now the light works fine. You never really know what's installed in them until you start checking.

wired1000

Mine used to read about 1/4 tank over what it should have been. Then something happened (??) and now it reads a half tank past full (1.5 tanks) no matter how much is in there...

I cleaned the ground, but it didn't help... haven't had time to dig further into it, but I will when I install my electric fuel pump

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The XM818 is really close, but that was after I cleaned all the connections and put new grounding wires on.

The one in the m109 is aweful, I've run out so much Angie won't go anywhere in it unless the jerry can is full.

****, I ran out of fuel yesterday morning at 3am in the M915!!!! That gauge is off...aua

Odyssey M

An accurate military fuel gauge is like an honest politician - no such thing - but I'll trust my Deuce fuel gauge first.
:ditto:
My Deuce gives me indicators when she is lower on fuel than she wants to be. Below the 1/4 tank mark, she needs her accelerator pumped a few times when starting.

combatmech

Mine is spot on. (1986 M1028)
whaaaaaAAAAATTTTTTTT?!?!?!?!?!:shock:
Lucky.....
I found out last night that when we installed the sending unit, we must have cut and or tore the o-ring. I went to fill it up, it didnt "gurgle" when it was full.
I gave the truck a good shake, and I could see fuel coming from the top, right side of the sending unit. Oh joy....:roll:

dirtroadoutlaw

Mine works throughout a range but the wrong one. If my guage covered about a third of the face, then it would be working great! These sending units work off resistance and I've noticed that they come in a range of specs so I will do a little research one day and fix it properly. One day.

Sardot1

One truck it registers as full when full, on empty it has about 5 gallon reserve.
the other reads F + 1/4 when full, had a couple gallons still the one time I got it down to E.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
all military fuel gauges used in ground vehicles SUCK and should not be trusted. For some reason, the fuel gauges used in aviation seem to be much more accurate.....

donalloy1

My 09 Fuel Gage has mind of its own. I NEVER run it much below 1/2 because of that. Watch Odometer like a hawk and track MPG very closely. Hope is to never run dry!

Where is the notorious Ground point that I see mentioned so often?

wired1000

When I was looking at mine, I found a ground point on the frame rail on the drivers side, sort of up in the wheel well. You'll see it. If there are others, please let me know too, as this may "fix" mine.