• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How can I put a MT643 in my M35A3?

welldigger

If I had to guess it won't fit unless you move the transfer case back. Then your in custom territory. Isn't the final drive 1:1 in the mt643? If that is the case then there isn't much benefit to retrofitting it in.

ShrekA3

My trans died so I've found a brand new MT643 on the cheap. I've heard it's supposed to be a superior trans. Just don't feel the 1545 is worth rebuilding due to its numerous complaints of reliability in the A3. Allison guru said 1545/545 are overloaded in a Deuce. Everyone claims MT643 is the trans to go to but I want to now how it's done.

ShrekA3

I agree the that the final drive is 1 to 1 and may have to move the transfer case. I'm wandering if the juice is worth the squeeze?

welldigger

If you haven't already purchased the transmission and are willing to take on moving the transfer case then I suggest finding something with an overdrive. Otherwise you will be going through a lot of trouble for not much gain.

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 1545p has a lockup converter, the 545 does not, it is not really 1:1 it has 7% slipage. Your 1545p top speed is 52 to 53, you will have 7% less with a 545 or mt643.

ShrekA3

A bit off course here guys. I need to know if anyone out there has put another type of tranny in a A3? I have a MT643 available which is very close in size and can handle more power, torque, and GVW than the 1545 or 545. This is what I have to work with. Please help

welldigger

You have to understand that the prop shaft is already so short that without moving the transfer case backwards there isn't room for any bigger of a transmission. This very topic has been covered numerous times.

Bear in mind, moving the transfer case is no small task.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A bit off course here guys. I need to know if anyone out there has put another type of tranny in a A3? I have a MT643 available which is very close in size and can handle more power, torque, and GVW than the 1545 or 545. This is what I have to work with. Please help
Ok so you have a cheap transmission that will need alot of fab work along with 3 new driveshafts . Price out the driveshafts , material to move transfer case ect. ect. , time and the fact that parts will no longer be common to other trucks . I think you will find you are puting less money for this used tranny to start with , but will spend more in the long run with alot of downtime.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Canadians had good success with the MT643 behind the Detroit in their deuce trucks.

MT643 Allison.jpg MT643_tranny_info.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks