• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How can we help Sandy victims?

Lax

How can Steel Solders members with equipment capable of helping the victims of Sandy get involved? Are the days of citizens helping out local fire and police/sheriff departments over? We don't need whack jobs. Just guys/girls with equipment that can help those local departments where ever we can. Does anyone have any ideas? Is it possible? Do we have any paid/volunteer fire fighters or police/sheriff officers that are members of Steel Soldiers that would know if or how to help? There may be a lot of SS members willing to volunteer for a couple days to help. Just wondering.

wb1895

Unfortunately, Most government agencies do not want our help. They see us as a liability, and will turn us around. The general public will use us and abuse us.

I dont know where the story is, but a gentleman tried to help with his Deuce during Katrina, but was turned away by the red cross. He was robbed and shot at while trying to help the general public.

As honorable as our intentions would be, we would probably just get sued for trying to help.

dabtl

My experience during flooding here was that if you offer to help, it will be accepted. But, to not get in the way of the pros.

CycleJay

Hello Lax,

If you can, either call or go to your local police/fire command center.
And make your offer. They will let you know if they want/need your help or not.

Otherwise, do what you can to help people on your own, but be careful to not
get in the way of the pros, or get shot, or robbed, or become a victim yourself.

Good luck, good night, God bless you for your selfless desire to help.

DeucesWild11

Unfortunately too many people sue these days.. Go help out neighbors and friends, as has been said don't get in the way of the pros but be there if they want you. Perhaps go to your local fire or police dept and let them know of you and your truck if you want to offer help.. Perhaps they may take you up on the offer if they need ya..

Still without power and it's supposed to be out for a "lengthy" period.. not sure what that means but the generator is running nicely.. the beer is still cold..and most importantly the venison is still frozen!:D

SEAFIRE

DirecTV has been showing local channel coverage of Hurricane Sandy on channel #349. It alternates between NYC, NJ, Conn, and Penn local network channel feeds.

This morning I saw footage of a couple of military FMTV/LMTV's rescuing ppl in one of the NJ towns that flooded, a real nice M35A3 rolled in front of the camera, I thought it was military until I saw the private plates on it. I couldn't see the driver, but it was being put to use for sure.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Red Cross is sending volunteers to the damaged area. You could ask your local Red Cross If you can assist them. The Syracuse area Red Cross is definitely asking for volunteers.

Danl

DanL M915A1

I.Live in a small town Lyman Maine. I'm a sub contractor for the town, the town has My insurance on file, I was called befor the storm and ask to get my truck ready and stand by. my loader was to be ready and my plow trucks standing by, I don't call myself a pro jest a contractor, but I work for this town offten and is insured, so my gest is that if you have a relationship with the powers to be you can help out other than that, you my be jest trying to gouge in there Eyes, the town and femer covers me, nobody shoots at my crew, plus the town folks Know I'm supose to be there. If you want to help Contact the help center and get Legit Dan

Ford Mechanic

Before Sandy I went to the county managers office (after talking with the sherrif and police dept.) and put my name and info on the disaster volunteer list in case they needed another big truck. The town has a 5 ton.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How can we help SANDY victoms..? I would say to go to the local FD or Police dept and offer your truck for temporary service to help any way you can.

Danl

danl

Before Sandy I went to the county managers office (after talking with the sherrif and police dept.) and put my name and info on the disaster volunteer list in case they needed another big truck. The town has a 5 ton.
If thay need help you will get a call, stay on there work list, you will get work from time to time the more work you do for them and they get to know you, you will get called on more , I get lots of calvert work from my town.

Kohburn

local volunteer fire chief has my number incase he needs me to help - we lucked out and barely got anything in MD so he didn't need to call this time.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }a:link { } Please forgive my long winded post. I'm an amateur radio operator and I volunteer with the local Amateur Radio Emergency Services. I have been trained in Red Cross shelter operations, FEMA disaster response procedures, National Weather Service Skywarn operations, as well as state and county emergency operations procedures. I worked two of the four hurricanes (Charley and Frances) that hit us in 2004 providing communications in the shelters for the duration of the storms. I learned a great deal about how first responders deal with these situations. In order for me to volunteer, I had to pass a background check and take numerous tests. Some agencies are leery of accepting help from unknown individuals outside their organizations. Without proper training and equipment, the guys that jump in to help might end up needing help themselves. The other main issue is insurance liability. When I worked the hurricanes I was covered under Red Cross' insurance as well as the county insurance policy. Emergency officials often do not have the resources to validate private citizen's vehicle insurance policies. Also, the Good Samaritan law only goes so far. Heaven forbid if someone gets hurt in the back of your truck and you end up sucked into a legal battle just by trying to lend a hand {shudder}.

Another thing to consider is that the emergency responders and volunteers are just as affected (stressed) by the storms. They sacrifice a great deal just to do their jobs. Their homes and families are impacted all the same. No matter how much training you've gone through, nothing can mentally prepare you for the challenges of working before, during, and after a hurricane.

My advice is to check with the Community Emergency Response Teams in the areas you'd like to assist. CERT Teams are comprised of volunteers that have first responder training. They might be more willing to bring you under their wings (and insurance policies).

Here are the links to the CERT groups:

https://www.citizencorps.gov/cc/CertIndex.do?reportsForState&cert=&state=NY
OEM - Get Involved - NYC CERT

Hope this helps.

rickf

I had a "so called" good Samaritan get stuck in my septic drain field trying to drive through my lawn to get around a tree in the road. They were not helping anyone and were not looking to, they were sight seeing! They are lucky they did not get freakin shot since I was in no mood for that crap. Theirs or what came out of the ground. I had to get my tractor to pull them out and the police had to get involved for the report for the insurance company. That involved a lot of people that should have been elsewhere. They were not even from the area. Oh, sorry about that crease I put in your trunk with the bucket of the tractor.......Whoops.
If you want to help then contact the authorities and they will direct you where to go, do not be upset if you are handing out food and coffee at a shelter, you are still helping.

Rick

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went thru CERT training earlier this year. It is great trainging for almost everyone. And it was paid for with grants.

While it doesn't teach you everything you need it is a great start.

My green hardhat and green vest gets me past alot of police barriers if needed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks