• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How can we help Sandy victims?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suggest anyone that wants to drive a truck into the area to help take the money you were going to spend on fuel and donate it to the Salvation Army relief fund and then stay home.

I'll help family and trusted friends but it's a sad state of affairs when I can't help anyone else because of lawsuit fears.

I did make two trips to Louisiana in the week after Katrina to deliver FEMA trailers and everyone knows how well that worked out............

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Warthog - I was very close to joining CERT but was told by my Emergency Coordinator that I couldn't be a member of ARES/RACES and CERT at the same time. Since I was so wrapped up with the FEMA classes, I chose to stick with ARES. I really wanted the specialized first responder training.

Lax - Here's another thought for you: use your truck to collect donations for those affected by the hurricane. The Red Cross/Salvation Army/hurricane relief organizations would love a huge MV full of clothes, food, diapers, etc to pull up and unload.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those who say "It can't be done" should stay out of the way of those who ARE GETTING IT DONE.

My experience has taught me that in any emergency, simply showing up prepared and equipped, and reporting to the situation COMMANDER - "REPORTING FOR DUTY, SIR. My assets are at your disposal." That's all it takes to be entrusted with an assignment befitting my/our capabilities. I have NEVER been turned away.

Vaya con Dios!
(Go with God!)

HillbillyWizard

I contacted my county emergency response team and volunteered my services. I didn't need the M35 for my own evacuation, it sat in my driveway and hasn't moved.

I haven't been called upon and I live at the NJ shore...2cents

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the other side of the table, when you get disasters, you also get people coming out of the woodwork to "help". Who knows what sort of training they may or may not have, who well their vehicle is maintained, if they are one of the "hold my beer and watch this" types. What happens when they injure or kill those they are supposed to be helping or themselves?

Few Fire/Police/Red Cross type organizations today will accept help they didnt ask for due to legal issues. If you want to assist, the best thing to do is join a VFD, CERT team, the National Guard, the State Guard, or similar type organization. There, you will be covered by insurance, etc.

Is it right or wrong can be debated all day, but that is the world we live in today.

MarcusOReallyus

My experience has taught me that in any emergency, simply showing up prepared and equipped, and reporting to the situation COMMANDER - "REPORTING FOR DUTY, SIR. My assets are at your disposal." That's all it takes to be entrusted with an assignment befitting my/our capabilities. I have NEVER been turned away.

You live in Texas. Most of your state is still sane. It's not that way in a lot of places.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
When a tornado reverse engineered my former house the Red Cross did more for us than the Feeble Emergency Mis-management Agency ever thought of doing.

If you are out of the damage area and want to help send the Red Cross whatever you can spare.

If you are in or near ground zero help your immediate neighbors and let someone else help the folks down the road.

I agree with the tirade about "rubberneckers".....they rode through our area getting in the way, bothering people and generally being a PITA.

Some of them even lined up at the Red Cross trucks to get free food and then got in their cars and drove away.

I told the local VFD to call me if they need me but they haven't called yet.

I have assisted several of the local agencies that have received HUMVEE's from the government by providing them sources (including SS) to get parts and assistance to maintain their vehicles.

No good deed goes unpunished.auaaua

BradBMI

Huricane Sandy

All

Just wanted to post this note. I live in Queens NY a few miles from Manhattan. Some areas especially Staten Island were devistated. The local people amd others from the area and the country have sent so much to support the peop[le of NY we really appreciate it.

There is a ton of supplies here thanks to all. I was running 3 of my 5 ton M923's during the hurricane helping the police and FD get thru the 5-6 feet of water.

FD and PD trucks were stuck. I cant tell you how many trucks we pulled out with the M923's they are a beast of a truck!

Went thru the water pushed floating cars out of the way and rescued 122 people from the area that was under water and on fire. best thing i did was to buy from GL!

Had the hemtt deliver generators and run thru the rubble over the on land sand bars and was a real sucess.

I never saw such devistation before. As of today they are still finding bodies in the houses.

So for everyone out there....A duece or 5 ton being available can save lives. Beleive me without the 5 tons i had the fd and pd would have had to wait for the water to receed.

Good luck to all and thanks for the thoughts and prayers

Brad

BradBMI

one more thing

We didnt see the Red Cross or FEMA until today (saturday). They are here giving out coffee but to be honest the RC did nothing here. So if your area is devistated count on your own friends family and neighbors

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BradBMI, Can you give us a bigger write up sometime? Like when you have nothing better to do like helping out your neighbors.

Good job.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Best thing to have done (too late now) is to pick one or two missions and become good at it. Food and transport keeping in mind the logistics of it all. Do not go in until the storm passes but immediate have a primary and 2 alternate sites planned. Site selection is critical and there is a whole host of considerations. Having lived on SINY but not knowing what areas were hit, nor the availability, I would have picked Miller Field on the NW corner using the Gothels to Hylan. Alternate would by Mt Loretta park via the outter brigdge crossing and second alternate would be lillypond park just off of wadsworth.\

2 x MKTs
1 x 400 gallon water trailer with chlorine for purification
1 truck of pancake mix that only requires water and dehydrated soups with paper and plastic eating supplies
1 truck of 5 gallon cans of fuel (some gas but mainly diesel) and some with water with locked chain holding in the cans and extra digging tools
1 truck of 2 x 500 gallon water blivets with chlorine and other cleaning supplies
2 CUCVs w/trailerswith crew tents, pickets, unbarbed wire (straight wire), tools for internal use and a whole host of other life support and commo stuff.

Ensure you have latrine equipment as well as hand washing devices.

Fix only two things--pancakes and soups. No butter but have syrup.

Water would have to either be pushed or the water truck with blivets would have to go get water each day.

If you're there firstest with the mostest, the flow dynamics will bring the other services (police, red cross, etc---security and shelter for the masses) to relieve you. But as you see, that relief maybe in 7 days. Then you pick up and move 1 MKT at a time. Right now I'd be moving to the vicinity of the NG fuel trucks I'd set up to feed the fuel line to keep those folks somewhat taken care of.

Too late now. Have your kids start planning it for the next century.

Cleptomaniac

I have taken my trucks out on several disasters. And I hav found that most LE and fire don't have a clue I'm not from the Guard! I have driven threw more road blocks!
That being said I normally take and donate cold water and Gatoraid. Here in Oklahoma the storm season can be rather hot and the fires....
I just drive up to the command post and say I'm here what do you need me to do? Have done everything from pull out fire trucks to passing out water and dragging trees out of the way.
I have a dozer chain I take with me. And a tow strap for the little stuff.

Good luck and God bless
Danny

Heavy D.

Incredible story BradBMI. I have family that live in Gerittsen beach, Brooklyn who were completely flooded out. I kept thinking to myself how I wished I lived up there with the deuce, to help out the neighborhood. I am glad someone else had the same idea and put it to fantastic use. Kudos!

Paul