• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How clean is WMO vs Diesel?

Gunfreak25

I look at these threads where people are burning WMO as a fuel instead of Diesel. Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to setup my own filtration center sometime. But I have to ask, how "clean" is WMO compared to diesel? I guess when I hear "motor oil" I think exhaust stacks blowin black as coal. I am no greenie weenie but even that doesn't sound all that great. :lol: Seems that the results are just the opposite though? Users of waste motor oil are experiencing the same or LESS smoke compared to diesel.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My truck will smoke more with oil added in the mix. I tend to believe that running WMO isn't as clean as diesel. I tend not to worry about it too much though.

flighht2k5

Banned
Believe it or not, even with all of that black smoke belching out, diesel pollutes less than a gas engine.

Jimma

Mine tends to smoke less with a mix of wvo and wmo. I have had no issus and have used it for about 4,000 miles now. Just filter it well and you have removed any harmful particulate or contaminates.

camoyj7

I'm running almost 100% WMO in mine and it smokes a little more than it did before. It seems to be down 20% on power though. I'm just waiting to turn the pump up a bit to make up for the loss once I get the EGT guage in.

TheWeatherMan

I am running a 50/50 mix of WMO and diesel... I got a bit more black smoke but it seems like I have a bit more power and the engine has been running a lot better ever since

paulfarber

I only sometimes see a blue tint in the smoke at idle when I have gear oil in the tank. I have been slowly burning off 250 gallons of WMO and gear oil and see no real difference in power or smoke (other than what I mentioned).

I ran 100% WMO from Gordon to Ft. Drum and did 55 all the way up.

If you really wanted to know you would have to go to an emissions testing facility and have them put the probe in the stack.

Everything else is simply empirical evidence of no real value.

Last edited:

hawkeyepoole

Filtering waste motor oil

I see a lot about centrifuges and filtration, but not much about why, and how much? Is there some reason I can't run the WMO through an oil filter and then run it in my M35A2C (1979 AMG)??

PWR4HIM

filtering

Well I have a question about filtering WMO. So what if I can a good plentiful source of WMO straight out of vehicles. As in it would go straight into my personal 55 gal drum and never have a chance to mix with antifreeze, coffee, water, brake clean, ATF, and all the other stuff that automotive shops put into their drain buckets. Would oil directly from a car already be filtered enough to use, I mean the car was just using it and filtering it constantly?

What are your thoughts, should it still be filtered more.

TexAndy

It should definitely be filtered more. It will be, if you pour it straight into your deuce.

You'll be doing alot of roadside fuel filter changes if you do that, tho.

PropDr

Well I have a question about filtering WMO. So what if I can a good plentiful source of WMO straight out of vehicles. As in it would go straight into my personal 55 gal drum and never have a chance to mix with antifreeze, coffee, water, brake clean, ATF, and all the other stuff that automotive shops put into their drain buckets. Would oil directly from a car already be filtered enough to use, I mean the car was just using it and filtering it constantly?

What are your thoughts, should it still be filtered more.
Don't be afraid of ATF it makes great fuel once it's filtered.

paulfarber

FILTER IT! The onboard filters are only 20micron or so (posts have varied a little on the exact number).

Spend the $25 for 3 filters ( 7x32in 10,5,1mircon socks, all stuffed inside one another - UtahBioDiesel.com) and filter on the way into the barrel (there are a few pics of how to set this up).

Clogged filters on the road is just poor PM on your part.