• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How Common is this M109?

cgtboy1988

I have been browsing Craigslist looking at M109s to turn into an RV and came across an M109 with cab to box access. I have attached a photo from the ad. Has anyone else seen a M109 with similar accessibility to the cab? I think it would be ideal for what I want to do- I would get the one in the ad but unfortunately it is a bit too far away.

Attachments

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That particular truck had a pass through added to it by a buddy of mine. I'm not sure exactly what he used to do it, but there is a flexible diaphragm between the cab and the van body. The thing that is hard to see is that there is not a heck of a lot of overlap between the cab and van body in terms of height. Its not exactly comfortable to go through, but it is a neat addition. Dual spring seats is necessary for this mod as well.

There is also an air conditioner sticking through the front wall of the van body above the cab. It is a neat setup.

mckeeranger

Back when slide-in pickup campers were more common, having a boot between the camper and the sliding cab window was a popular option.

It was small, but when I was a kid I would crawl/dive through ours. My dad wasn't all that enthusiastic about me diving through it when we were going down the road. Especially when he didn't know I was coming. :twisted:

jasonjc

I would think that cutting a hole that big in the back of the cab would be a bad thing to do. Now that all the steel is gone what holds it together? The A/C I like thought.

cgtboy1988

Thanks for the info. I may have to do this (or a similar) mod when/if I find a M109- I want to be able to carry people in the back so having something like the passage would be nice.

mightymanx

I am doing that to my 109 RV conversion I an using 1" box tubing rounded corner squares to make the "portals" to firm up the sheet metal and be able to anchor the gasket.

After 20 years of being on submarines I think the passthrough is spacious and roomy your opinion on that may vary.

scottjhl

I find this idea... to be a good one if you dont want to get out to get in the cab

Would love to see the linky from craigslist...

Last edited:

cgtboy1988

Is there any reason the guy who did the M109 in question decided to use a flexible diaphragm to protect the passage? Or would regular sheet metal be just as good? I dunno how much flex/movement between the cab and bed is standard on a deuce as I do not yet own one, but I can't imagine that it is enough to preclude using sheet metal. Also, as far as the craigslist ad goes, it was on the Phoenix craigslist and expires a few days ago. You can monitor it to see if its reposted though.

mightymanx

There is far too much twisting to use anything but a flexable material in the tunnel.

Take yours on a left right bumpy road and look out the back window you will see the relative motion between the two.

cgtboy1988

if you dont have a fab tools and the skills to do it and the 100 hours or so of freetime to play in the shop just to make the pass thorough. I would buy that one
I would buy that one, but I dunno if it is still there, and if it is its also a good 750 miles away so its not much of an option. That said, I may be able to either pull the job off myself or have a shop do it for me. Not having one in front of me to look at, it is hard to determine how exactly to do it and how hard it would be though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks