• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How did you get your bed off.

197thhhc

This question is for the schmo who does'nt have a crane, forklift, loader, etc. I want to hear the stories from the guys with a hammer and a tree. The real manual labor guys. Someone who did it in their apartment buildings parking lot (just kidding, but that would be a cool story.) I will be taking mine off this weekend and will post pictures. Until then I want to see your stories and pics.:grd:

Billy Bobbed

I cut all the bolts but two.Drove it to the scrap yard.They cut the two bolts off and used a magnet,and I got $40.00 for it.I think I got screwed.

Last edited:

Ridgerunner

I took all the bolts out that held the box to the frame, chained it to the M104 trailer that I had in the yard, then drove the Deuce out from under it. It make a nice "thud" when it hits the ground.

Attachments

flyxpl

I took all the bolts out that held the box to the frame, chained it to the M104 trailer that I had in the yard, then drove the Deuce out from under it. It make a nice "thud" when it hits the ground.
That is how I get boats off of trailers , put a few old tires on the ground for it to fall on .

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
When I removed the bed off my bobber I jacked it up and put some big industrial rollers between the bed and the frame.....I then pulled it backward with my little tractor onto some 4x4s that I had jacked up on the aforementioned 55 gallon drums. I had to keep moving the rollers untill I had it where I wanted it.

You have to make sure nothing catches and pulls the drums over while you are moving the bed along the 4x4s. I think I filled them with water for ballast.

The mudflaps and pioneer tool rack have to be removed prior to this operation.

If you don't have a big air wrench the best way to remove the mounting bolts is the "Blue Flame Speed Wrench".

KsM715

When pulling it straight off the back make sure your air tanks dont have the pressure relief sticking straight up or you'll bust it off. Ask me how I know. Notice mine is now in a 90 fitting.

Attachments

tm america

what kind of shape is it in and what type of bed if its in decent shape i would remove it for you free and give you scrap price for it ..if it is a m109 bed i would deffinately be interested and would probably even drive out to your place to take it off for you.other wise chain it to a tre and drive the truck out from under it

Barrman

4 55 gallon drums, 4 4" fence post, 4 jack stands and 1 hi lift jack. Stick the fence post under the edge of the bed but above the bed frame. Use the hi-lift to pick up the post, use the jack stand on top of the drum to hold it however high you want and move on to the other 3 corners. Drive the truck away.

I have done this 3 or 4 times now. Works great. Just be sure you have flat land to do it on. A slight incline and things can get dangerous.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The full story of our bed RECOVERY is in the link below. Sorry, no help on removal. Just a caution.....

If you live in RATTLESNAKE COUNTRY - BE VERY CAREFUL !
When we lifted the bed, there were THREE RATTLERS under it after sitting on the ground for a few weeks.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re-installed a SECM bed on a Dodge M887 at Wayne Harris house. Used blocks, long 4x4s and a coule of bumper jacks. Was laborious but successful. You should see how I pull engines out of deuce wreckers.

littlebob

I did something similar to wreckerman and did what KsM715 did. Just make your sure you have a way to handle it afterward. I jacked one side up at a time and used blocks to hold up. After both sides were up I put short peices of pipe under it and let it back down on the pipe. I then put the long bolts from the front at all corners to manuver to where I wanted to drop it. Once in position, I but some old tires to break the fall I just pushed/rolled it back till the back fell ont the tires the drove foward anplaced more tires. Barrmans drum idea would have worked better, but I didn't have any.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks