• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How did you guys drive home? documentation?

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm wondering since they don't supply the SP97 or whatever it is until well after you remove the item, how do you guys legally drive the vehicle home?

I'm hoping to simply drive mine the 68 miles home but don't you need the title to get plates ect? or can you drive it home with the "bill of sale" and be okay as long as your insurance company gives you some kind of binder?

shannondeese

I drove mine out the 50 miles back to my house. As close to legally as I could. I called and got insurance on it as soon as I won the bid. After that I carried the auction paperwork to pick up the truck. I drove off the lot with insurance paper work in hand and the paperwork that said I won. I also had my wife follow me in my desert MARPAT F350. No cop in California has yet to pull me over and I keep my tag in the glove box now. Good Luck. The only really legal way in Ca is to tow it or trailer it until you get a tag. But I've been driving mine daily for two years with my tag in the glove box and haven't gotten pulled over yet. Not to say it's not going to happen. But I've had cops follow me for miles and then wave as they pass me. It's big, screams military, and slow. Non of which is condusive to getting pulled over.

PropDr

You need insurance, a one day operating permit from the DMV and the correct class drivers license.

Use the forum search, theirs lots of good info pertaining to this topic already on here.

3dAngus

States are different. In Georgia, you have 30 days to tag it, and can put up a temporary tag. You do not need a title at all, and in many cases will not issue one depending on age of MV. You do need the Paid in Full Invoice signed by an authorized rep from GL when you remove it, and also should have that when on base during the recovery. It is your clearance paperwork for both military, if pulled over, and civilian police, as well as issueing paperwork for a new tag. I lost mine, could not get a license plate, and had to go back to GL and have it researched and a new one signed and faxed to me. AFter that, they issued a new license plate in about three minutes.

You need to check with Mn. folks only or do your own research, because you are likely to get a lot of different answers on this one here, due to alll the different states requirements, which are not at all standard. Do be sure to get insurance before the pickup though. You cannot drive on base/post without insurance, nor can you on most streeets in most states.

91W350

Kansas antique tags are wonderful! I do not move an uninsured vehicle. We have 30 days to transfer a license plate. I have a couple of old antique tags I use. Trucks older than 35 years only need a bill of sale to title. The GL paperwork is good enough. So, I insure them, sometimes slap on an antique plate and head home. In 28 years of law enforcement, I have yet to stop an active or possibly active military vehicle. I have yet to talk to a LEO that has. Glen

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay thanks guys, next question...Is the serial number on the invoice? I assume I'll need that to get insurance taken care of? Or do I just use the 50XXXX number from the dash? I haven't seen the vehicle in person.

Oros35

PA and OH you cant get a plate or temp transport paper without a title. So you can't legally drive it.

The next closest way (how I did it) was to get insurance on the truck and take your paperwork with you. Your probably not going to get pulled over, but your up the creek without a paddle if you get in an accident and hurt someone.

Sucks there is no legal way to do it.

midcounty

Drove my 818 with 871 trailer 13 hours home a while back. MD will not issue a tag with out title, so I chanced it with no tags. I did however have insurance and documents to prove it. I had to stop at a number of tolls and passed by a number of officers, and nobody questioned anything. Your mileage my vary, but I made out ok.

Heavysteven

I had my insurance card and paid in full invoice. I had mine shipped to but it was in Kentucy.

After that I had to have a police officer verify the vin and then I got my tag.

Ressoldier

I had the same question as I am hoping to pick up my M101 A2 shortly and will be pulling it home 265 miles. I am not sure I will have benefit of doubt like those of you driving prime movers since the trailer will be hooked to a civilian vehicle.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would get insurance for sure!!!!
Here in AZ you can not get a 3 day or 30 day tag with out the title, so it is a catch 22. So I just get insurance and then drive it. Just look like you know what your doing.
[thumbzup] Good luck!!

steelandcanvas

I had the same question as I am hoping to pick up my M101 A2 shortly and will be pulling it home 265 miles. I am not sure I will have benefit of doubt like those of you driving prime movers since the trailer will be hooked to a civilian vehicle.
Definetly have your "paid in full" invoice handy. I got pulled over, the night I bought my trailer (M105) and was towing it home behind my civi truck. The Trooper was concerned, why was a mil trailer being towed by a civi truck? Showed him the paperwork, he said to be sure and register it, then thanked me and moved on. Also, I had my $10 Harbor Freight mag lights attached to the back. Everything legal except for registering of the trailer.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Georgia they will give you a temporary tag for free. However, I did not post it as tape wouldn't stick to the CARC. Make sure you drive through the weight stations - they almost always wave you through thinking you are military.

Chief_919

I will tow a trailer home, after a good inspection and knowing I have a spare tire, working lights, and spare bearings.

I will never drive a truck home right off the GL lot. You have no clue what shape the wheel bearings, brakes, or many other componets are in, and you can't do an adequate check on the GL lot. And until you have, operating the truck is too big a safety risk in my eyes.-

quickfarms

Taking home a trailer is a lot different than a vehicle.

The towing vehicle will cover the insurance of the towed vehicle.

Most leos will not bother a trailer as long as it looks safe and has lights.

On a trailer inspect the tires and jack up each wheel to check the vearings and brakes. check the bearing temp frequentally and tow at a reasonable speed, say 55 and you are good to go.

A vehicle is a whole different story. For safety reasons I have them towed.

You do not have the time to perform a full inspection and look inside of everthing at GL. Remeber by the time you pick up the vehicle it has not been driven for probably over a year or more.

As far as the registration goes you should check your state laws to see if you have a grace period after you buy the vehicle to get it registered.

I would not drive it without insurance.

You should ask the insurance company, not the agent, if they will cover the vehicle during pickup.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
In Georgia they will give you a temporary tag for free.

How? I went to two different DMV's and they said temp tags only existed for dealers.

bullfrog1234

I had to have inspection, SF-97, before dmv would issue a title. After all that I was able to get insurance, but different states have different laws. I did drive all my winning from the yard to my shop.