• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do I get it home?

n1oty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In MA, it doesn't MATTER what the LAW says; it matters what the political HACK/bureaucrat says that goes. I do NOT like it, but that's just the way things work here.

I wonder if it would be possible to register it as an RV since it has a van body, and just be done with it.....

I suspect that you will have an easier time with the RMV because you obviously need the SF97 for titling purposes and they apparently do not have problems with those. I wish you good luck with your insurance, as I've heard that is more difficult to deal with concerning these trucks, at least here in Massachusetts. The interesting flip side with trailers is that, at least for me, insurance was a piece of cake!! I went to my agent and found that I could automatically insure a small trailer on my existing policy at no additional charge!! Yeah, I almost had a coronary when he indicated that he wasn't getting into my wallet yet again. He simply emailed over a completed RMV-1 form for me to take to the Registry.

I apologize for taking your post a bit from its origins, but thought I'd share some Registry experience with a fellow inhabitant of this commie state. I do wish you good luck on the rest of your recovery.

John

jaymcb

Applied to Commerce for insurance, SF97 WAS mailed today (verified with GL), bought 7 395's from Berg tire, 7 O-ring and grommet kits from Erik's military surplus.

Going to think about that dang insurance policy all weekend.

Holy COW these are expensive toys. I so blew through my budget on it, and it isn't even home yet. :oops: The VISA balance is looking UGLY :shock: Yikes!

crazymechanic

Jaymcb :
I am near the location and was there a month ago , when I was there a buyer was picking up his big Van 6 x6 unit not sure what its called duce van or something he got it running and it pumped its own tires up and he drove it home no tags, they let him drive right out i watched .said he had a 2 hr trip he said he had insurance from historic or classic vehicle and it was like $190.00 a year ...
ok re reading you already picked it up never mind i was just going to offer a hand ..

Attachments

Last edited:

jaymcb

Applied to Commerce for insurance, SF97 WAS mailed today (verified with GL), bought 7 395's from Berg tire, 7 O-ring and grommet kits from Erik's military surplus.

Going to think about that dang insurance policy all weekend.

Holy COW these are expensive toys. I so blew through my budget on it, and it isn't even home yet. :oops: The VISA balance is looking UGLY :shock: Yikes!
Well, the actual GL SF-97 mail date was 10-20. I have fedex tracking which says I will have my SF-97 on Monday at 4:30PM. I've seen an emailed electronic copy of it, so it really exists.

Insurance in place through JC Taylor.

395's and O-ring/grommet kits from Erik's coming Monday to where the truck is visiting. 7 new tires before the trip home.

New batteries ready to install.

I have my RMV-1 from the Commiewealth of Mass, which says I now have valid insurance.

I'm going on Tuesday to go and get my plates.

Then it is hopefully getting the tires mounted and a PM check this week before driving it home.

I'm going to have 5 serviceable and 2 marginal 14.5x20's if anyone is interested.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would strongly suggest you change your strategy and tow it home. Play it safe. Get the truck and YOURSELF home in one piece. Go thru the truck thoroughly after she is home to insure many years of safe driving enjoyment. I'm sure there is an SS member with a towbar nearby that would be happy to help in exchange for a diesel fuel and a couple cold ones.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I mean an A3 isnt that heavy.No friends wiith a 3/4 ton diesel or bigger? and a decent gooseneck trailer you can rent I am sure. I have towed my M-61 all over the state of Montana with my little 6.9L IDI. Heck for the cost of shipping you can find a nice used IDI diesel pickup. Also I would check uship.com. Maybe able to find something. I will check on my oilburners forum to see if some of the guys up there who haul up and down the east coast would be interested.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yeah I saw he said it was right around 16,500. Which is almost as heavy as my M61. I have towed it around the state a good bit. Stopping is the issue however and up in that area with all the traffic could be a pain. or the PITA drivers who cut ya off every chance they get.

jaymcb

its actually a a4 and somewhat heavier with that big insulated box on the back. Batteries are in and truck runs and starts.
[thumbzup][thumbzup][thumbzup][thumbzup]..Outstanding! Now tires and a PM trip to git'r'done and get it outta your hair!

Yeah I saw he said it was right around 16,500. Which is almost as heavy as my M61. I have towed it around the state a good bit. Stopping is the issue however and up in that area with all the traffic could be a pain. or the PITA drivers who cut ya off every chance they get.

The scale at GL indicated 15,580 with me and 2 extra mounted 14.5x20 tires and rims on board as I was driving it out. I figure they HAVE to add up to 600 pounds between 'em. So it's about 15k.

Driving it back will be an adventure going up the east coast, for sure. Planning on mid-day, low traffic drive times, and also planning on having the truck gone through before it takes the trip.

The funny thing is, it will have doubled it's indicated odometer reading with the 450 mile trip.

The shipping issue with an M109 is also height. I got zero bids on uship a month ago. It is 11 feet high, and needs to be towed with a lowboy. If anyone knows someone wants to drop it at or near my doorstep for a reasonable price, LMK, but I am uber-new to MV ownership, so I don't have a distributed network (other than here).

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I have some guys who are going to check their schedules. They both have 25' goosenecks that are about 2' from the ground to the bed. Even with the 11' box. You can deflate the tires and get a few extra inches just to be safe. If I wasnt 2,500 miles away I would be there.

jaymcb

well, finally going to attempt the recovery this weekend with my son.

got 7 395's mounted up on it. tires to 55PSI. got to tie off the soft top, which flaps like mad in the back at speeds over 40

going to do a fuel filter change before driving it home. Also plan on keeping the tank 1/2 full or better at all times.

a couple of cans of seafoam, a full tank of diesel, and fingers crossed.

it's been on 2 short hops, one 50 miles, one 30 miles, runs like it has, err, less than 500 miles on it :)

wish me luck!

jaymcb

Well, I got home at about 1AM this morning. It was a 15 hour odyssey. Traveling with an 8 year old has it's own unique set of challenges. The truck ran as well as I could have hoped, total trip was an indicated 483 miles. The truck averaged about 8MPG with a 1500 pound payload of 7 michelin 14.5x20's. Wish that was better.

The CAT3116 ran at 2700 RPM for much of the trip. No oil consumed (and I checked it at all 10 of the stops I made). The 395's definitely give you some height, and WOW does this truck bounce around at 50MPH or better.

My odometer reads 1033 miles on the clock when I finally parked.

Some random observations:

After a 14 hour drive in my 109, I have even more respect for those who have served our country and had to drive these beasts as their JOB. On this weekend, THANK YOU to all who served.

Pre-drive checks after all 10 stops took some time, but I feel like it was time well spent. My son doesn't agree. :)

Southern Maryland has some spectacular countryside, and is remarkably agrarian.

Diesel fuel prices vary widely, but the least expensive on the highway was on the NJ turnpike, at the Vince Lombardi service area.

New York and New Jersey both misspelled their names when applying for Statehood, and I'd suggest a revision to New Jerk, and New Jerky for the fundamental lack of ANY courtesy while I was driving the roads in that state. Connecticut-you-off may also be up for revision. :sad:

Try and schedule your trip in your MV so you DON'T end up hitting the top of the NJ turnpike JUST as the Meadowlands is emptying 60,000 people onto the road. aua

Even with the 395's, I wished for just 5 more MPH of highway speed....some of the time.

If you see someone broken down by the side of the road, do not offer to push them if you have 395's. The height of your truck will put your bumper WAY over any passenger car's bumper.

The personnel heater in the cab was adequate...for now. :)

Also - The State of New York should be ASHAMED of themselves for charging a $32.00 toll to cross the George Washington Bridge. That is an absurdly high toll.

I'm glad to be home safe, and give thanks for that. The only casualties of the trip is the right headlight blew it's low beam, and whatever backlight the speedo and oil pressure gauge also went out. When I brought the headlight to the auto part store, I was laughed out of there.

Because I could, I crammed all 4 in my family for the 1.5 mile drive to church this morning. I said an extra prayer of thanks for the safe journey, and another to thank all of you for your help and counsel.

That's all for now. I have to track down a headlight, backlight, and read up on the rules for posting photos......Jay

n1oty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you think the military trucks could jostle a person, you should have experienced being crammed into a fully loaded cattle car or a helicopter!! I'd take a truck any day of the week.

John

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Excellent Jay. Glad to hear no major problems! I only had a 70 mile trip, had the kitchen sink and all I needed was 1 gallon of antifreeze. Better prepared than not.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks