• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do I get the **** door hinge pins out?!?!?!

Napoleon_Tanerite

I'm trying to replace the door hinge pins and bushings on my M1009 and I can't get them out to save my life! I spent an hour trying to get the top one out of the driver's side door and failed miserably! It gets about an inch up and then starts hitting the inside of the door. I got it about 3.5" out, but it wouldn't budge past that. It left a nice buggered up trail on the inside of the door too, but I really don't care about that, I just want the **** thing out! The bottom one looks like it will be **** near impossible to get a good swing on with a hammer.

So what is the trick I'm missing?

Keith_J

Make sure to MARK the outline of the hinges!!! Sharp pencil works fine.

Yes, it is a PITA. And one bolt is hidden.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's what you get for NOT READING THE TM! (and asking an Auto Zone "associate")

Napoleon_Tanerite

TM makes it sound like they want you to unbolt the hinge from the truck first, then from the door. it seems like it would be easier for my to simply remove the door from the hinge while leaving the hinge attached to the truck, since I don't intend to do any work on the hinge itself aside from removing the pins. Any suggestions on this?

dunedigger

I've done it with the door on but not fun. If you outline the door first as mentioned, I usually just use masking tape, take the door off and you can see on the bottom of the pin a spot that is crushed to keep it from poping back out. Hit it with a grinding disk if you have one to remove the burrs and pop them out. It would be a lot easier to take the hinge out if you want to go that far.

kenny

Man Ya'll do it the hard way.
I get a drimel and cut the pin in half and it pops right out like 2 pins instead of one.
then when i re-install I just put the pin in upside down and put a carter pin with a washer in the hole that I drilled in the pin so that it dose not fall out.

This way you do not have to remove any bolts or re adjust the door.

kenny

TM makes it sound like they want you to unbolt the hinge from the truck first, then from the door. it seems like it would be easier for my to simply remove the door from the hinge while leaving the hinge attached to the truck, since I don't intend to do any work on the hinge itself aside from removing the pins. Any suggestions on this?

Cut the pin in half with a drimel
or grind the top of the pin off and hammer it out with a long punch pull with and vice Grips

Last edited:

woodyNla

Man Ya'll do it the hard way.
I get a drimel and cut the pin in half and it pops right out like 2 pins instead of one.
then when i re-install I just put the pin in upside down and put a carter pin with a washer in the hole that I drilled in the pin so that it dose not fall out.

This way you do not have to remove any bolts or re adjust the door.
:grd:

I have done this myself. Had a few buddies think I was crazy until they tried to replace their pins and bushings.....