• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do I haul a trailer without using air brakes?

Dude, you really need to delete these last post and read the rules.

Auction Postings: Please abide by the following rules concerning the posting of auction information in the forums:
• Do NOT post about future or current GL/GSA auctions. You may post about any auction after the auction is closed.
• Do not post links to auction photos. GL/GSA links quit working after a short period of time so save the image to your PC and then attach it to your post.
• No collusion as specified above

Wolf.Dose

For your house the M116A2 with the propper Gen Set (forget about the 3 kW sets with two small engines, the somewhat 15 kW set) is big enough with regard to power output. And you can safely pull that trailer with its overrun brake device (inertia brakes) ith yout truck.
Anything larger will theoretically kill you, as said in the obove statements. This not neccessarily means, it will do so, but the risk is to high. And I do not know the legal requiremnets for your inshurance.
However, for a 2 1/2 ton trailer without brake connection (air, electric or override), I would not drive more than in the close neigtborhoud, exept I use a at last 5 ton heavy agricultural tractor. But from LA to your place it is a little to big distance for an AG tractor. Or at least a Deuce. This is not the problem of the pulling power, it is the braking issue!
And if you connect the Generator to your house, do not forget to diconnect the harness to the supplier net or you feed them all. There are relais on the market available to do that for you automatically, at least in Europe.
Wolf

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kasel Mfr Co Mdl M103-A3 2 wheel 1 1/ 2 Ton chassis trailer with (2)Libby Welding Co Inc Mdl MEP-003A 10 KW 60 Hz diesel engine generator set

Yes, only like FFH said, you need to read the rules for this site and delete the links and references to auctions.

It could possibly get you banned if you continue to do it.

steve

Unforgiven

You do know that you can have that giant generator shipped, right? It might cost $$ but if it's only a one-time thing then let someone else (a shipping company) take the liability of transporting it.

Are you aware of natural gas powered emergency generators that automatically kick on in the event of a blackout? They even have isolators that keep you from back-feeding the grid. That's a viable option if you have NG supply. If you are afraid that NG will go out as well ... then diesel will be unavailable within days because such a scenario warrants martial law.

Also, if California goes dark then you better barter with your neighbors with chickens & beans. Cash will be worthless in the post-apocalypse Mad Max days. Beans, bullion, & bullets. Those are the Mad Max currencies. And maybe fresh water.

Still, that's a nice generator. Post pics of your install at your house.

Powder Vitamins

You do know that you can have that giant generator shipped, right? It might cost $$ but if it's only a one-time thing then let someone else (a shipping company) take the liability of transporting it.

Are you aware of natural gas powered emergency generators that automatically kick on in the event of a blackout? They even have isolators that keep you from back-feeding the grid. That's a viable option if you have NG supply. If you are afraid that NG will go out as well ... then diesel will be unavailable within days because such a scenario warrants martial law.

Also, if California goes dark then you better barter with your neighbors with chickens & beans. Cash will be worthless in the post-apocalypse Mad Max days. Beans, bullion, & bullets. Those are the Mad Max currencies. And maybe fresh water.

Still, that's a nice generator. Post pics of your install at your house.
Once you have the SH__ hit the fan, the generator will be useless. But for instinces when the power goes out and your sump pump stops pumping flood water out... PRICELESS!

Powder Vitamins

Dude, you really need to delete these last post and read the rules.

Auction Postings: Please abide by the following rules concerning the posting of auction information in the forums:
• Do NOT post about future or current GL/GSA auctions. You may post about any auction after the auction is closed.
• Do not post links to auction photos. GL/GSA links quit working after a short period of time so save the image to your PC and then attach it to your post.
• No collusion as specified above
O.K.
I can't take down the pictures...
But I removed the links.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would think an MEP-003 would be adequate. You need to balance between power needs and fuel consumption. 60 KW is cool and would give you bragging rights for sure. Even if you could load it enough to prevent wet stacking, you would be buying fuel in 1500 gallon alotments. If you have the need to have a huge genset, go LP or Natural as they don't have the wet stacking problems that diesels do. I pride myself on power management. Had a 30KW Diesel, learned and expensive lesson with that. Never could get a load adequate enough for it. My needs are to keep the pump running, fridge, and to air condition one room. I do that with a window shaker. This is adequate for weeks at a time and I can keep enough fuel on hand without advertising to the neighbors with big tanks. If you do buy surplus power, make certain that you know the frequency. A $400 60WK genset in 400hz is $400 you would wish you had to buy a store genset.

Most appliances and electronics will ONLY run off of 60hz. The only thing that will run off 400hz is specialty equipment meant to run off 400hz and things that don't care about hertz such as incandescent lighting and resistive heating elements.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Indicates the cycles per second. Household stuff if 60 Hz. The 400 Hz will run equipment designed for that and maybe incandescent light bulbs. You won't be running your sump pump from it

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
O.K.
60Hz... Anything else I should look for?
The previous posts have been good.

1. Don't try to tow too large a load without the proper truck
2. Too large a generator with a light load will lead to wet stacking
3. Make sure the Genset is 60 Hz. Most ex-airforce gensets are 400 Hz and can't be used for back-up power at home

What was not mentioned is that you need to make certain that the Genset you procure is capable of producing single phase current. The Gensets previously depicted are all three phase only at 240 VAC. If you try to use one leg of the 3-Phase to power your house, you will unbalance the load and damage the generator.

If you are looking for a military Genset, go for an MEP-003A set. It produces 10 KW at 120/208/240 at both single or three phase. It is air cooled so you don't need to worry about liquid cooling. It is also very economical compared to a larger diesel. If you get a trailer-mounted unit on an M116A2 trailer, you can quite easily pull it behind your truck. These are very easy to use, very reliable and common items on GL to bid on.

The last point is that this thread should be moved to the Auxilliary Equipment area since it meandered into a topic on generators. If you search on gensets you will find a l0t of very good information on back-up generators and how to connect them to your house.

Powder Vitamins

The previous posts have been good.

1. Don't try to tow too large a load without the proper truck
2. Too large a generator with a light load will lead to wet stacking
3. Make sure the Genset is 60 Hz. Most ex-airforce gensets are 400 Hz and can't be used for back-up power at home

What was not mentioned is that you need to make certain that the Genset you procure is capable of producing single phase current. The Gensets previously depicted are all three phase only at 240 VAC. If you try to use one leg of the 3-Phase to power your house, you will unbalance the load and damage the generator.

If you are looking for a military Genset, go for an MEP-003A set. It produces 10 KW at 120/208/240 at both single or three phase. It is air cooled so you don't need to worry about liquid cooling. It is also very economical compared to a larger diesel. If you get a trailer-mounted unit on an M116A2 trailer, you can quite easily pull it behind your truck. These are very easy to use, very reliable and common items on GL to bid on.

The last point is that this thread should be moved to the Auxilliary Equipment area since it meandered into a topic on generators. If you search on gensets you will find a l0t of very good information on back-up generators and how to connect them to your house.
Yeah, O.K. - THANKS!

I am glad to have a better understaqnding so I don't waste time and money on something that won't work...

And you know how a topic can start out as one thing and change to another.

These guy's on SS got right at the heart of the issue quick. I was wanting a generator and did not really care about trailers. Although I was wanting to pull a large genset that I couldn't use.

Thanks again. Jimmy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks