• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do I install trailer brake control?

svlsmokey

I need to install a trailer brake control but I am still using the 12-pin connector with an adapter I made. Is there a way to wire trailer brakes into the 12-pin NATO or am I better off converting to a 7-pin trailer plug?

Utah CUCV

I left the military plug exactly as it was.

Since the service lights are 12v, I added the 7 pin civ tow package. If you buy a kit it wires in to the existing system pretty easily. I also had a towing receiver added under the bumper. In effect, civilian hitch and wiring was added without affecting the military wiring and pint-el hook. I don't have much hope the spare tire fits under the bed anymore, as that is where the civilian hitch is attached. But I haven't actually tried it yet.

v/r,

Karl

2deuce

What I did on my M1009 was install a 6 pin receptacle to run electric trailer brakes and leave the 12 pin where it is. I used another set of connectors so that I can unplug the 12 pin and plug in my 6 pin and vice versa depending on what trailer I was using. Then plug in an unconnected set of connectors into the one I'm not using to keep the dirt out. I'm talking about the connectors on the truck side. That would also work on a M1028, but you would have to crawl under the bumper to swap connections where the blazer connections can be reached from above easily. The military 12 pin I only use with military trailers which have surge brakes and as far as I know don't ever use electric brakes. I also took off the pintle hook and installed one of those pintle/ball combo's so I can tow anything.

I personally wouldn't try to use the 12 pin for trailer brakes because civvy trailers won't ever have that plug and they make an adapter for just about any civvy plug except 6pin to 7pin. With that in mind I would use the flat 7, there is an adapter for all combos with it.

dstang97

In order to wore it correctly you should buy a kit and do a civi plug. Never skimp out when it comes to towing.

Brent.Cain

i left my 12 pin alone and just added a 7pin on the other side of the bumper across from the 12pin then i took my pintel off and cut a hole in the bumper so the new 2" reciver type lays flat on the bumper and welded it all together and in my M1031 o was able to put another suport comming down off the frame where there was a rear frame tie i can get you pix if you want but i pull a 24' enclosed race traler fully loaed and dont have a problem the bumper is really strong

ehuppert

I would also suggest installing a new plug (in addition to the mil plug). The "t" connectors make it simple.... pull apart connector by left taillight, install connector in-between harness ends, secure wires! I installed a plug that has both the seven pin and a four pin connector.

Eric

2deuce

I used the Prodigy brake controller. They are the top of the line, can be mounted easily because they don't have to be horizontal and are basically plug and play. Mine cost $150, napa wanted $188. You might do alittle more shopping than I did and find it for less.

svlsmokey

I already put the civilian receiver hitch on - fit perfectly and the receiver comes out right under the rear bumper so I can keep the original pintel hitch in place. I haven't tried the spare tire yet either and I actually took the arm off when I put the hitch on so I guess it's not going back on anyway...