• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do I know exactly what model I have?

ChrisG

Pulled front diff cover off to change fluid and my truck has the limited slip front, did m1008s come with this option or is the truck another model? Thanks

ChrisG

So according to the vin (1GCGD) it is a 1008. Do the 1008s have the limited slip from factory? It doesn't look like the axle has been changed. Not a huge deal just curious.
There is another no. CD30930 on the door plate.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the Wiki sticky ;

M1008
The M1008 is a 1984 K30 pickup with a J code 6.2L diesel, TH400 3 speed automatic, and a NP208 transfer case.

The M1008 has a Dana 60 front axle open and Corporate 14 bolt rear axle with 4.56 gears, detroit locker.

ChrisG

Okay so after looking at the cucv wiki it seems i have a 1028 doesnt really jive with vin but regardless it is what it is. So I guess now my question is with the limited slip front should i be using a different fluid than regular gear oil? I have a service manual but dont see a reference to a gear lube other than standard gear oil
I know admins dont like to see questions about what fluids etc so feel free to delete post if this isnt an appropriate question.

Gunzy

Should be able to use 80w90 with a bottle of friction modifier. Both available at most parts stores.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Odds are, the truck is exactly what the VIN indicates. Either through assy line errors or maintenance in the DOD, you ended up with the trac lock diff. 1028s do not have troop seats, inner bed tie downs but have overload springs in the rear. A previous cab change is not out of the norm either. Does it have rear overloads?

Edited to correct the overload springs.

Last edited:
Two of my M1028's have rear overloads 1 had a depot rebuild but the other has no indication of any rebuild.

Odds are, the truck is exactly what the VIN indicates. Either through assy line errors or maintenance in the DOD, you ended up with the trac lock diff. 1028s do not have troop seats, inner bed tie downs or overload springs in the rear. A previous cab change is not out of the norm either. Does it have rear overloads?

llong66

This may sound like a silly question but I have ZERO experience with differentials. I plan on changing out my fluids this spring, on the front, once you have the cover off, how can you tell the diff between an open and limited slip front end?

Thanks,
Greg

The limited slip diffs have a friction materials samwitched with steel plates.
like a positraction differential.

The side gears also may (I dont remember) have a spring between them as well or at least one of the posi's did that I worked on some years ago... The 12 bolt gm posi unit has a 4 spring unit with 2 plates that transfer the force from the 4 springs to the sidegears.

While a 14 bolt rear with its detroit locker is a mechanical traction device but not at all like the limited slip center section.

when in question theres always google, This goes for just about everything you might see here and everywhere else . That LO lube order Imo is written for your average grunt but some of the things in it are plain wrong also IMO, One of those things is putting ATF into a gear driven transfer case like the NP205 as that is what the LO suggests but as someone who has worked in several transmission shops and a few manufacturers as well ATF is the wrong lube for the np205. that one needs gear oil and I use synthetic gear oil amsoil is what I use.

This may sound like a silly question but I have ZERO experience with differentials. I plan on changing out my fluids this spring, on the front, once you have the cover off, how can you tell the diff between an open and limited slip front end?

Thanks,
Greg

Last edited:

Keith_J

GM and New Process changed lubricants in the 1980s to Dextron II after testing. Smokey Yunick talked about this in his column in Pop Science magazine, stating Dex II has the extreme pressure package preventing gear wear.

There is also an issue with overheating at higher speed using heavier lubricants, that heat is wasted diesel.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GM and New Process changed lubricants in the 1980s to Dextron II after testing. Smokey Yunick talked about this in his column in Pop Science magazine, stating Dex II has the extreme pressure package preventing gear wear.

There is also an issue with overheating at higher speed using heavier lubricants, that heat is wasted diesel.
This met with some resistance as well. Transfer cases had always had gear oil in them and a number of folks couldn't accept the ATF and switched out lubricants. Usually this resulted in failure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks