• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do I remove a broken glow plug from 6.2 diesel

gem1410

Got my humvee from gov planet as a non runner-----Have a glow plug that is broken off deep in the bottom of the threads--I started the engine and at first it had a big compression leak and then the leak closed up--So I figure the element of the plug is still intact--lucky---any ideas how to get the plug out of the threads----------I also have one plug that will not move--stuck in the threads--any tricks to loosen it up----thanks George

gem1410

Positive info is always good-----the video is very good----I think looking at the video I will remove the injector and lightly tap the remains of the plug into the cylinder---then pick it out---will get the piston up first

Awol

Positive info is always good-----the video is very good----I think looking at the video I will remove the injector and lightly tap the remains of the plug into the cylinder---then pick it out---will get the piston up first
I've seen it done this way, especially with swollen glow plugs that break upon removal. Just be extra sure that you got every little piece of metal out of the cylinder before starting!

dilvoy

It will fall into the pre chamber not the cylinder. You need get some shop manuals from various sources so you can learn about how your engine is designed yourself. Internet info might cost you lots of money in repair bills, because you followed bad advise from someone who also doesn't know the systems of this vehicle.

AFGVET

Gem1410,
Back a while ago (2017) you had this issue (broken glow plug tip fell out of the Glow Plug hole.

Well here in 2020 I have the same issue.
How did you correct yours?
Was it in the Pre-Chamber?

With some shame, I can tell you what I have done.
So I followed some advice...
A guy on the internet (GD internet!) suggested that I "bump" the engine a few times and it would just "blow out."
Yeah, a funny thing, it didn't. That piston also sucks in... I didn't consider that (stupid, I should have know better.) Now I am afraid its in the combustion chamber.

So how did yours end up...

gem1410

Gem1410,
Back a while ago (2017) you had this issue (broken glow plug tip fell out of the Glow Plug hole.

A guy on the internet (GD internet!) suggested that I "bump" the engine a few times and it would just "blow out."
Yeah, a funny thing, it didn't. That piston also sucks in... I didn't consider that (stupid, I should have know better.) Now I am afraid its in the combustion chamber.

gem1410

I pulled the injector and I think the tip was sitting on top of the piston--I used a harbor freight borescope to see in there--I used long,thin needle pliers to pull it out--Had another tip that broke off in the and got it out same way--injectors come out easy

AFGVET

Gem,
WOW, that was an Ultra-fast response.
Happy Easter and Thank you.

I will try that that.

I have another broken plug tip that is still lodged in the glow plug "port?"
I was thinking of two COAs
1. hand cranking that cylinder to BDC and then "bumping" it in hopes it shoots out (yeah same bad idea from before)
2. taking the injector out and then knocking the broken tip into the Pre-Chamber (after I block the port to the cylinder chamber with cotton, then grabbing it.
I am leaning to COA 2.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:

gem1410

Gem,
WOW, that was an Ultra-fast response.
Thank you.

I will try that that.

I have another broken plug tip that is still lodged in the glow plug "port?"
I was thinking of two COAs
1. hand cranking that cylinder to BDC and then "bumping" it in hopes it shoots out (yeah same bad idea from before)
2. taking the injector out and then knocking the broken tip into the Pre-Chamber (after I block the port to the cylinder chamber with cotton, then grabbing it.
I am leaning to COA 2.

Your thoughts?
I had a few of them--I remove the injector and I remember i could see the tip --put the needle nose on the tip and poke it free --I think i used a skinny Philips head screw driver and knocked the tip through the glow plug hole with soft blows with a hammer--no mystery--

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As stated the busted tip will fall into the pre-cup and shouldn't make it into the cylinder. If the tip breaks off the military just replace the glow plug and don't bother going after the busted tips. I have had a few busted tips and went after them. One great tip I got on this site was to stuff some cotton under the tip still lodged in the glow plug port and it makes it so much easier to grab. I picked up a cheap set of needle nose pliers and bent them up to reach in the injector hole to fish out the tip. Put some copper never seize on the threads of the new plugs and don't put them in too tight. Hope this helps.

Mark

20211106_162439.jpg

20211106163229.jpg

s-l400 (74).jpg

v508b.jpg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gem1410,

The glow plug tip would be trapped in the pre-cup, blowing it out of a removed injector hole has worked for some in the past, certainly not a stupid idea.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks