• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do those HF tow bars hold up?

linx310

I have a chance to get a HF tow bar with a capacity of 5,000 lbs for about $70.

I think I have seen people on here do recoveries of a M1009 with these. How do they hold since the M1009 exceeds the 5,000 lb capacity?

jrou111

I have a chance to get a HF tow bar with a capacity of 5,000 lbs for about $70.

I think I have seen people on here do recoveries of a M1009 with these. How do they hold since the M1009 exceeds the 5,000 lb capacity?
The HF tow bar doesn't start coming apart at 5,001lbs. IIRC, the M1009 weights 5200lbs. I've used mine to move my 6,900lb F-350 around in the backyard (which is dirt and gravel BTW) before.

I'd be more concerned with stopping a 5,000 (or 5,200) load with only the towing vehicle's brakes.

kapnklug

I've got one of the HF towbars and it's always worked well behind my M1009, even towing a fullsize van loaded with engine blocks to the scrapyard. I agree with the previous post, the problem is stopping and cornering. With the van, it really wanted to jack-knife, and I had to come to an almost complete stop at 90deg turns or it felt really scary.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks