• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do you change PTO boots?

The end of the boot that goes into the PTO has a lip on it and I can't get the old one out of the PTO, it keeps tearing apart. Is there something else that i am suppoed to loosen/take off to do this?

Don't have a camera right now, so no pics.

DanMartin

As I recall the boot is held in by the seal itself on the shaft. I believe you need to take the shaft out to change the seal/boot IIRC. I'm going by memory here...it's been a bit since i re-did mine.

OD Iron has an exploded diagram: http://www.odiron.com/store/images/7061272 (Small).jpg

I'm pretty sure when you take out the shaft the boots come off easy, and then go on easy with the shaft out. The shaft I think holds it all together....

Well I ended up with the old boots tearing. So I used a small screwdriver to dig out the excess from under the lip on the PTO. To put the new ones in was prettyy easy until the end, I had to use a screwdriver to gently get the last bit of the part of the boot that goes under the lip under it. It wasn't to hard but I din't really know what I was doing (of course I never really do anyways) until I got the 1st one in. Sorry if this was vague I am not very good with explanations.

TsgtB

Well I ended up with the old boots tearing. So I used a small screwdriver to dig out the excess from under the lip on the PTO. To put the new ones in was prettyy easy until the end, I had to use a screwdriver to gently get the last bit of the part of the boot that goes under the lip under it. It wasn't to hard but I din't really know what I was doing (of course I never really do anyways) until I got the 1st one in. Sorry if this was vague I am not very good with explanations.
I know this is several years old, but I am reading that the boots on the pto could be installed without draining fluids and removing shaft/linkage..?

TsgtB

Thanks Frank and Rusty, my seals are good, but one of the dust boots is coming apart.
It would be nice to be able to grease up a new boot and carefully work it into the groove between the seal and shaft, to keep dirt out.

Welder1

I just changed mine last week. There is a retainer ring that holds the lip of the boot in place. The seal is actually behind that. You have to use a sharp pick and carefully remove the boot lip from under the retainer ring. I looked at it for a while until I figured out that. The new boot is fairly easy to get back under the ring. it helps to know what the assembly looks like.

TsgtB

Thanks Welder, the TM pics are good, showing the finished product and/or where things go, but when it says to install boot with a wooden block (if i recall) it leaves a lot to ponder.
Skill and experience, lots of patients and head scratching...
I thought the lip of the boot was held in by a ring in the seals.... is there a retaining ring that's not being shown?

Welder1

The boot retainer ring is separate from the seal. It goes in after the seal is in place. It looks just like a seal metal housing. I think the TM describes installing the boot ring. I didn't see any way to pull the ring without distorting it. I simply used a sharp pick to carefully remove the remains of the boot from under the ring. Be careful and don't go very deep you don't want to touch the seal underneath it. You have to work the new boot in place but it goes back fairly easy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks